Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:45 PM   #11

The k-r is not a replacement imut, it is a the new big brother. Like the 500D and 550D.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
One of my friend told me that if you use Canon, you can exchange lenses with your friends easly.
Assuming you have lots of friends who have Canon equipments and are willing to let you borrow their lenses. I am personally against lens exchange. If I drop my lens, I can only blame myself. If someone else does, well...

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:52 PM   #13

Quote:
If someone else does, well...
you just forgive him/her.

They talk about k-r as midrange DSLR not an entry level.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:03 PM   #14

Thanks for your advice.
Indoor and outdoor pictures of the children are more important to me than basketball.
I have trouble taking pictures when the children are on stage for their programs and find that they are blurry with any movement without the flash and dark with the flash. Will any of these cameras address that? Should I get a flash?
My favorite p&s cameras are the canon S2IS and the 110. For that reason I picked Canon over the Nikon. Should I consider a Nikon?
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:24 PM   #15

A good external flash would really help the indoor kids photos with either the canon or pentax. For the stage stuff, where a flash is not permitted. A big aperture lens will greatly improve the results of your photos. And right now canon do have the larger lens option in this department.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:29 PM   #16

For what you want to do, entry level Canon dSLRs have the edge for outdoor sports/action (as well as indoor sports/action.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j320 View Post
I have trouble taking pictures when the children are on stage for their programs and find that they are blurry with any movement without the flash and dark with the flash. Will any of these cameras address that? Should I get a flash?
They're blurry without flash because there isn't enough ambient light so the camera uses a longer shutter speed, and you're getting motion blur. They're dark with the flash because the flash isn't strong enough to illuminate them when they're that far away.

For children on a stage, you're better off in the back with a long fast lens. If you're closer, you'll be looking up at the performers, which will give you an odd perspective. From the rear, the perspective will be more normal. But you'll need a longer lens, and since a flash that will work from back there will be expensive (and maybe even prohibited) you'll need a large aperture. Something like the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (~$800 for any camera body.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:00 PM   #17

I had no idea what I was getting into when I wanted to improve my photos. Besides not knowing what lens to use for each thing- the cost is more than I expected.
I guess I need to go basic until I learn more and have more experience.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:21 PM   #18

www.dslrtips.com

It is a good place to do some dslr workshops.

The dslr system will give you better photos. But to really advance, the right lens and equipment will go a very long way. But the beauty of the dslr system is you can start simple with just the kit lens, then move up. Even with the kit lens you will get a mark improvement over a point and shoot.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... Even with the kit lens you will get a mark improvement over a point and shoot.
That's more like it. Most of the responses here seem to presume the OPs want pro results. They don't. They want better than they have right now. Almost nobody is going to pay a couple of thousand dollars to get pics of their child on stage. The p&s pics are almost good enough. They preserve the time. The memory. A bit better would be nice tho.

Then reality sinks in. Good lenses cost a lot. Back to compromise. Main point might be that any dslr will improve their results. With room for more improvements later on.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:41 PM   #20

The place you will instantly see improvement even with the kit lens is indoor shooting in low light.