Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:50 AM   #1

Default First dslr advice needed

I have been reading this forum since I was snowbound in Feb. and have learned so much. I started out wanting a new p&s and realized from this forum and your posted pictures that I will not be satisfied until I try a dslr.
I just want to take pictures of my grandchildren inside and out. They range in age from 1-9 and play sports such as basketball, soccer, and baseball.
Now I can only use auto and hope to learn more and take classes but I'm not sure how much I can learn.
I hope to keep the camera and the lenses less than $1000.
My top choices are the Pentax k-x, Canon t1i, and the olympus PL1.
I would appreciate any advice. I also need advice on lenses, memory cards and filters.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2

The olympus epl-1 is a fine camera, but with you sports needs, it would not be the best option.

The pentax k-x is a excellent dslr, and the kit lenses would do well for the outdoor sports. And have excellent low light performance. But you will need to add a brighter lens for the basketball if it is indoors.

The canon T1i, has a bit better AF system, so it will be a bit better for action. But the kit lens will not be as good for you outdoor sports needs. To get good action shots, you need to move up to the ef 70-300 IS USM lens. Canon do have more lenses suite for indoor basketball then the pentax. Like the ef 85mm r1.8 USM or ef 100 f2 USM.

So getting the indoor action will put you over your budget. But the canon it the better system for what you need. The pentax is second.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:48 AM   #3

I agree with shoturtle that the Canon T1i would be the best choice for your sports/action shooting. Canon has a better selection of lenses and accessories for what you want to do, but that also means there are more things for you to spend money on. To shoot sports, the Canon is more capable, and has a better selection of lenses. To photograph your grandchildren indoors, you'll need either an external flash or a large aperture lens (or both.)

I think the T1i will fill you needs better, but to buy everything you need to shoot everything you say you wnat to shoot, will require a lot more than you've got in your budget. I think you need to figure out what you want to do first, and devote your available funds to satisfy those requirements. You can add to your kit as new requirements arrise and as funds become available.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4

If you want a more serious camera, the Pentax and/or Canon are your best choices. They have a lot to offer, particularly the Kx with its two-lens kit price down to $630. You can't beat that.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:01 PM   #5

Quote:
I think you need to figure out what you want to do first, and devote your available funds to satisfy those requirements.
+1

If it doesn't look weird "for general purpose" nothing so special which DSLR you recommend?
Is there any DSLR selection guide or something like that?

Quote:
If you want a more serious camera, the Pentax and/or Canon are your best choices. They have a lot to offer, particularly the Kx with its two-lens kit price down to $630. You can't beat that.
One of my friend told me that if you use Canon, you can exchange lenses with your friends easly.

Quote:
The olympus epl-1 is a find camera, but with you sports needs, it would not be the best option.
Does this camera a good start for DSLR then?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
If it doesn't look weird "for general purpose" nothing so special which DSLR you recommend?
There are no bad dSLRs. If all you want to do is take photos of family picnics, any dSLR will do well. What matters is what else you want to do, how much you want to spend, and how you feel about a particular camera.

Quote:
Is there any DSLR selection guide or something like that?
The market changes too often, and the introduction of a third party lens can affect one dSLR's suitability for a particular purpose. That's very tough to documant and maintain.

Quote:
One of my friend told me that if you use Canon, you can exchange lenses with your friends easly.
If all your friends own Canon dSLRs, and, together, they own a good assortment of lenses, that's true. But if all your friends own Nikons, then buying a Canon wouldn't help with that. Also, if all your Canon owning friends only own the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS, then there's nothing much to exchange, is there?

Quote:
Does this camera a good start for DSLR then?
Technically, the EPL-1 isn't a dSLR. But that asside, it's a nice camera, but the selection of lenses and accessories is smaller than for other dSLRs. That means it's not as adaptable for other purposes as APS-C dSLRs. Also, it's slightly more prone to image noise at higher ISO settings that APS-C dSLRs.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:30 PM   #7

Is there any replacement for Pentax k-x soon ?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Is there any replacement for Pentax k-x soon ?
It's out. It's the K-r.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:50 PM   #9

I went thru this dilemma late last year. What to get? hmm. They're all good. They'll all do what I want. So I picked a few deciding factors which were key to me and went from there. The OP says they want to take pictures of this and that. We all do. But how good do they want the pics to be and at what price? Indoor basketball? Whew! Very expensive. Maybe let that one go. Outdoor stuff. Shouldn't be too hard. With anything.

I haven't tried too many dslrs so I can't suggest one or the other. But if budget is a large concern, Pentax is it.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
... But if budget is a large concern, Pentax is it.
Except for the "Indoor Basketball" part.