Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:33 AM   #11

so i checked what i had my setting on and it was M 4.:3........ I went to the camera store today and they guided me towards the canon sx and nikon d3000, saying those 2 are the best entry level slr's.....
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:25 AM   #12

the canon xs and the nikon d3000 are the most basic entry dslr. The pentax k-x is the same price an will out preform both cameras.

The top two in the entry level are the pentax k-x and the olympus e620. In the mid level entry the toe dslrs canon T2i and T1i and nikon d5000.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:34 AM   #13
Super Moderator

i am wondering if a dslr is truly the right choice for you. you have admitted to zero knowledge of photography, and based on your questions here, if you plan to buy a dslr, be prepared to accept the learning curve, and spend some real time invested learning about at least the basics of aperture, shutter speed, dof, iso, post-processing. if you do not, you will be disappointed and just have a rather large camera that isnt performing as well as you expected.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 AM   #14

Hards has a good point there is more to learn with a dslr, if you do not take advantage of the advantages and learn the system. You just have a large point and shoot that takes better low light photos. But you will not get the most of the the camera.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:31 PM   #15

yes that is what i am thinking.. i do want good low light pics but i don't want to have a huge camera just for that.....so i'll put that a bit on hold for new.... so back to point and shoot then i guess either the sd4000 or s90 are the best choices? i just read on another thread that canon is coming out with the sx30? that put a smile on my face but i need more info on it. once again i keep going back to the zoom thing as i need more zoom... but i don't want to loose out too much on the low light just to have zoom.. buy this is such a hard decision, i never thought i would spend this much time just trying to find a camera!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:52 PM   #16

The s90 or s95 would be the better low light camera. Along with the panasoinc lx3 and lx5 and the canon G11 and G12, and the new nikon p7000 looks very promising. All should give you better low light photos.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Unfortunately right now all the superzoom, including the new SX30IS use the smaller sensors (the smaller sensors are cheaper, as well as smaller making the large zooms easier/smaller to make). The canon uses a 14mp imager but still of the small size, even without seeing examples, i know this camera will not do well at high ISO (for low light), just like the rest of its brethren.

Unfortunately you can never really have your cake and eat it to. so to speak. so it is best to pick your camera for the conditions that you most often shoot. and if you find yourself needing a longer zoom in the future, you may have to save up a few dollars again.

many ppl that enjoy shooting p&s cameras have more than 1. so it may be that you would want a lower light, compact pocketable cam (s90/95, lx5), and then something like the canon sx30 / panasonic fz40 in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:59 PM   #18

yes you are correct, my husband will just kill me for doing so,lol... since i just bought my f70 last sept and then want one for low light and one for zoom, he's going to go crazy!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
lin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

We happily help everyone. 'Not to worry, please. In a super zoom camera, ISO 800 is a typical high ISO setting, newer cameras can go to ISO 1600. That is much more than your Kodak Z-740 could do.

I would suggest the Canon SX-130 camera at $249.00. It features 12X optical zoom, full automatic and full manual controls, a great close-up capability, and HD video. As you can see by simply clicking on the attached link below, I have embedded an ISO 1600 photo by the SX-130 for your inspection.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...7_WwqDn-X3.jpg

Sarah joyce

Hi Sarah,

Just as an aside, is that picture taken with or without a flash?

Looking at my iso 200-400 pictures of my current camera, your image is far superior - but I am almost always using the "higher" iso settings without the flash in a relatively dark/night setting.

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:36 AM   #20

Juggernaut-

Yes, you are correct. No flash was used in that photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote