Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Default am so over whelmed what to buy..... help

ok i need major help,lol... I currently have a fuji F70 exr and it takes great day pics but terrible low light pics, especially indoors. my old kodak Z740 took great pics. I started thinking i wanted a mega zoon (panasonic fz40 or the canon sx20) but in the reviews that i have been reading they arn't any better in low light then what i already have, correct? so now i started thinking of a compact camera but won't get the zoom i want in order to get better low light shots. am i right in thinking this way??? I was thinking about canon 940is or 780is and sony w370 or hx5. I am not a experienced camera user to go into the dslr route. i have no idea what appature(sp?), iso, etc means and where to set stuff. I know it would be best to have one to concor my low light but i want something easy to use. suggestions please
p.s price for compact: no more then 250 if possible... will be willing to spend more if it's excatually what i need!
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:02 PM   #2

lin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

We happily help everyone. 'Not to worry, please. In a super zoom camera, ISO 800 is a typical high ISO setting, newer cameras can go to ISO 1600. That is much more than your Kodak Z-740 could do.

I would suggest the Canon SX-130 camera at $249.00. It features 12X optical zoom, full automatic and full manual controls, a great close-up capability, and HD video. As you can see by simply clicking on the attached link below, I have embedded an ISO 1600 photo by the SX-130 for your inspection.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...7_WwqDn-X3.jpg

Sarah joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:46 AM   #3

Lin,

You are actually correct, the difference in photo quality form 100-400 iso with all the 1/2.23 sensors are pretty close. The biggest difference I see in the photos in those ranges is how each brand process the photo and how the colors come out.

The sightly better sensor shoot okay upto 600iso. But all 800iso shots with all the small sensor camera need some work to make them look better. And with a decent flash, they do handle low light just a tad better also.

If you are looking for a mark improvement in low light you will need to move up to a 1/1.7 or larger sensor for low light, letting you shoot well at 800 iso and decent at 1600 iso.

I do notice that my older canon powershot a460 do handle noise better in low light photo then my new point and shoots with higher pixel counts in low light. But they do not have as much details.

So if you are looking for a mark improvement in low light performance. You may want to look at the canon s90 or s95 or G11, panasonic lx3 or lx5, or the new nikon p7000, and maybe the samsung ex1. Their 1/1.7 and larger sensor do give them much better low light performance. But they are more expensive cameras.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:37 AM   #4

thanks so much everyone. i find it so much harder now a days in finding a camera, i never had to focus so much and do so much research before on the older ones..... it's exhausting! phew..... i guess just the more mp in cameras now are taking effect on lowlight, why would you need so much mp when your just taking pics of a normal size? most people don't even blow up pics, so it seem to be such a waste on mp in cameras and then it lacks in performance..jmho. So do you even recommend the panasonic FZ40? if i can i reaaly do want to mave more zoom but i don't want to compromise too much on lowlight.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:58 AM   #5

checked some of them out, the canon is quite pricey.... i am not fond of the "chucky look of he G11 or nikon 97000. but i didn't mind the panasonic lx-5 but it has so many settings, etc i don'[t even know where to start with using them???? for ex, what does on the lens mean???...1.1 4.3 3.2 and 16.9.... i tell ya i am a real amature when it comes to this stuff. I get that these will be better for quality pics in light and low light but it won't help if i can't get setting right......
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6

lin-

Therefore, you should target a camera that you are comfortable with in using, and that meets your $250.00 budget. The Panasonic LX-5 at an average price of $479.00 is well beyond your budget.

Reviewing your initial suggestions, in terms of size, it appears you are looking for something quite compact and pocket-able. That brings the Canon SD-940 and the Sony HX5 back into consideration. However, due to their smaller imagers those cameras will be ISO limited.

A better choice might be the Canon S-90/95, the G-11, and the Samsung EX-1, all of which have larger imagers and therefore better high ISO capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Lin.

First off, the F70EXR can do quite well in low light at higher ISO (for a small sensor digicam of course). You just have to set it up properly. If you are shooting in full size 10mp mode, then indoors/low light is going to be pretty bad. But if you go to the P mode, then set your image size to "M" and the DR to 100% (the DR expansion increases noise) you will find that the lower light and indoor photos from the F70EXR are among the better for this class.

this was shot at iso 1600 from my f70exr. while not perfect, is perfectly useable, which is saying somehting for iso 1600

Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

but, it sounds like you may not want to delve into the menu that far.

so with your constrained budget, the Canon SD4000 is a bit more at 297$ ish, it still uses the smaller sensor, but a more moderate 10mp which is less pixel dense and can do a bit better in lower light. The sony hx5 may be worth checking into as well, the backlit sensor was suppose to do much better in low light, but in reality, its not that much different, but still on the better end of low-light compacts, but is about 100$ over your budget of 250$ as well. (for 340$ you could get the canon S90 which is a better choice)
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:10 PM   #9

ok so i go into the image size and to "M" but there is M 4:3 M 3:2 and M 16:9 what is the difference between all of them?

so the S90 is better then the sd4000?

if i did jump into the entry level dslr, which would you suggest to be the easiest to figure out and learn?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:14 PM   #10

4:3 or 3:2 or 16:9 are just aspect ratio. 16:9 is more rectangular, while 4:3 is more square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Yes the s90 is a better low light camera then the sd4000.

On the entry level dslr, pentax k-x and the olympus e620 are the easiest to transition from a point and shoot. They have menu systems and art filters.