Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
for 500 dollars I would get an olympus epl1 m4/3 evil camera for the same price. As 500 is allot, for a fix lens camera.
One of my concerns about the camera I buy is weight. Won't an SLR be heavy?
texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:46 PM   #12

The g12 was announce today, you can check it out on the canon website. So the g11 may go down in price. And with any camera you can choose to shoot just jpeg or just raw or both.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...announced.html
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmom View Post
One of my concerns about the camera I buy is weight. Won't an SLR be heavy?
The epl-1 is not a slr, it is a evil camera instead. But it is one of the smallest evils on the market. It weigh about the same as a panasonic FZ35. It is not really that heavy compare to a dslr like a canon or nikon.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:38 PM   #14

I read Steve's review about the epl-1. It sounds like a camera I might like.
Would the camera with the kit lens be enough?

It seems to lack a view finder. Would I miss it? is the lcd good in bright situations.?

I've been thinking that the swivel lcd on the canon g11 might be useful to me since I can't get on the floor or down low any more. Am I right in thinking using a swivel lcd would be useful in this situation?

If I can find a store that stocks all 3 cameras (I'm including the nikon p7000) I will be a happy camera seeker.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:32 PM   #15

The EPL-1 needs the Olympus VF-2 EVF viewfinder, a $250.00 accessory.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:26 AM   #16

Quote:
If I can find a store that stocks all 3 cameras (I'm including the nikon p7000) I will be a happy camera seeker.
I was recently in a similar situation and wanted to handle the cameras in hand before making a decision.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but do you know if you have a Fry's Electronics store anywhere near you? They have a website frys.com to look up their store locations. If you do, the website has a "check availability" option for their merchandise, those I found that they had some things in stock in the store that their website did not carry. I think their stock varies.

But I was able to look at the Panasonic FZ35, the Canon G11, and the Olympus EPL-1 at the store in my city. I don't know about the Nikon because it wasn't on my list (though they did have Nikon cameras).

Otherwise, Sarah's suggestion of using Amazon is a good idea if you can't find a local retailer. They make it quite easy for you to return merchandise if you are not satisfied. I would only suggest that if you do purchase from Amazon, make sure you are purchasing from Amazon directly and not an independent retailer as their return policies will vary.

Good luck on your search!
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:31 AM   #17

You might miss the view finder, but you can add one. I hate shooting with a lcd. So the VF2 was one of the first things I added, but that is my preference. The LCD is okay for shooting. But the VF2 does a better job for framing with a long zoom. Much more stable. The g11, g12 only have about 75% view in the viewfinder. So that can be a bit of a concern. Is you were shooting off the viewfinder. Your framing would really be off. Not sure about the nikon, but it could have the same issue.

The panasonic lx5 has the same option to add a evf like the epl-1.

With a EVIL, the system can be adapted to your needs. While the panasonic lx3, lx5, nikon P7000, g11, g12 have fixed lenses. The olympus you can add long zoom lenses like the panasonic 45-200, olympus 75-300, and the soon to come out panasonic 100-300 for more reach, or you can add ultra wide angles, or macro lenses.

Base range you get a 3.5x zoom with the kit lens of the epl1. 5 with the canon 7 with the nikon, and 3.5 with panasonic offering.

The tilt lcd is kinda useful. The viewfinder for the epl-1 is a tilt also, so it works nice on a tripod.

Quote:
I read Steve's review about the epl-1. It sounds like a camera I might like.
Would the camera with the kit lens be enough?

It seems to lack a view finder. Would I miss it? is the lcd good in bright situations.?

I've been thinking that the swivel lcd on the canon g11 might be useful to me since I can't get on the floor or down low any more. Am I right in thinking using a swivel lcd would be useful in this situation?

Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:32 AM   #18

It does not need the vf2, but it is a nice option to have for 250 dollars. But can be added later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The EPL-1 needs the Olympus VF-2 EVF viewfinder, a $250.00 accessory.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
I was recently in a similar situation and wanted to handle the cameras in hand before making a decision.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but do you know if you have a Fry's Electronics store anywhere near you? They have a website frys.com to look up their store locations. If you do, the website has a "check availability" option for their merchandise, those I found that they had some things in stock in the store that their website did not carry. I think their stock varies.

But I was able to look at the Panasonic FZ35, the Canon G11, and the Olympus EPL-1 at the store in my city. I don't know about the Nikon because it wasn't on my list (though they did have Nikon cameras).

Otherwise, Sarah's suggestion of using Amazon is a good idea if you can't find a local retailer. They make it quite easy for you to return merchandise if you are not satisfied. I would only suggest that if you do purchase from Amazon, make sure you are purchasing from Amazon directly and not an independent retailer as their return policies will vary.

Good luck on your search!
Hooray. I can touch and feel a G11 at a best buy in San antonio.

The G11's on amazon are 2nd party stores so if I should end up ordering online B&H looks promising as does NewEgg.

Thanks for all the info and guidance. I'll let you know.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:19 PM   #20

Default second thoughts

I held a G11 in my hands as well as the Oly EPL-1. Not the Nikon p7000. Of those two I prefer the G11. Best Buy would not sell it to me at their internet price (duh - I can order it online from BB and have it shipped free to the store). Makes no sense to me and since it is cheaper online elsewhere guess what I chose to do. BTW Frys nearest me sold their last one!!! Demo only available.
Every time I go to place my orderf online I get cold feet.
Perhaps the camera is too pricey.
AFter all I just invested in a new pair of prescription eye glasses today.

If I eliminate the view finder what would be a good camera for me in a lower price range. Does the Canon sx120 fill my needs?

HELP