Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:00 PM   #31

Or you can also look at the nikon p7000 with the larger sensor also. It has a bit more reach then the G12 with a 7x zoom. And gives you a similar VF as the G12.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:04 PM   #32
Super Moderator

Yea the P7000 would be another option, you do get a better zoom for sure.

I considered that, but posed the G11 first since the OP seemed to want an easy way to get a lower angle shot, which the tilt/swivel LCD may be helpful in.

I would say both would be equally good choices, just depends on which you value more, the vari-angle LCD or the longer zoom.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:08 PM   #33

Yeah, I agree both would actually be the best 2 for the intended uses without going to a dslr or evil
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:34 AM   #34

Thank you for the suggestions. I read reviews for the Nikon P7000 which for the most part are positive. DPreview has image samples and the IQ looked good to me, especially people.

Some of the articles led me to a Samsung TL500 . When I read reviews it sounds good too. It has an articulating lcd.

It would seem that the canon g11, the nikon P7000 , The samsung tl500 and the panasonic lx5 are in a group of similar cameras. Later I will read about the pana.

I am leery of another canon with its soft focus for people. Candid shots don't always allow time to adjust settings.

Hope the Samsung is in a store here so I can give it the once over .
texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:06 PM   #35

The lx5 is another good camera, just no evf or vf like the canon or nikon.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:32 PM   #36

Perhaps there are more Samsung EX-1 users, but I am just about the only one who posts EX-1 sample photos. All in all, I find it to be a great camera. I especially like the articulated LCD screen.

Here is a sample photo from the EX-1, and it is a photo of my husband so it meets the OP's requirement for a person-photo.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...9_rJN66-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:14 PM   #37

I don't whether to cry or scream as I continue to read too many reviews about cameras etc. and test as many models in stores as I can find.

I've decided that I want to get a camera with a vari angle Lcd also known as articulating lcd .

I've looked at Canon G11, Nikon P100, Sony HX1 in stores.

I've yet to find a Samsung TL 500 in store but am still interested in it.

Then today a review led me to the Panasonic ZS5. I got excited for a few minutes and then read some negative reviews.

The Sony appeals to me but I think it is too deep for my hand. I was not comfy holding it

So I believe I am looking for a camera with a vari angle LCD that takes crisp clear people photos. I take a lot of my photos indoors. I don't need a mega zoom nor do I care about video and movies.

Thanks for any more suggestions you might have That will point me in the right direction.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:51 PM   #38

te TL, the zs5 and any of the sony will not give you results you will like, the much smaller sensor will yield results close to the sx130. To get better results, the s90, s95, g11, g2, lx3, lx5, p7000 and ex1 are the only ones that will give you good indoor results. As they have a larger sensor at 1/1.63 vs 1/2.23. The TL, zs5 and any of the sony all have the smaller sensor like the sx130.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:06 PM   #39

texasmom-

Can you expand a bit on your "people requirement" please. My thought is that perhaps we are looking at the wrong group of cameras. Quick focus, and realistic facial tones seem to be important to you, just as they are to you.

My thinking is that adding light to the photo via an external flash would help with your issues. The Canon G-11/12, the LX3/5, the EX1, and even the Kodak Z980 have hot shoes that would allow you to put more light into any photo, helping the focus, the sharpness, and the facial tones.

Here is a photo from the Z980 using the external flash that seems to meet your requirements, perhaps:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ko...5_5xJzX-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:33 PM   #40

I did not think I would be posting again.

My Samsung TL500 arrived and I've been taking my standard "test" shots. Skin tones and people shots are very good.

Then I photographed my fireplace which is 10 feet wide and carefully lined up the top of the fireplace. Photo showed top to be tilted and the bottom was tilted in the other direction. Is this my fault or a distortion of the camera. I was using auto setting. The basics.

The zoom might not be enough for me now that I've played with some 10x optical zooms.

Sigh .I would say great IQ.

But the architectural distortion would drive me crazy.

SO if I can find a camera with same IQ, less distortion, more zoom I could be happy.

Have all the new cameras come out yet?