Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Default new camera is necessary

I will be taking photos of :

-grandkids so want response time to be fast enough that the child is still in the photo.

- landscape and general photos

-family photos at holidays and reunions. My photos are usually the ones everyone requests for copies

My requirements are:

- quick response time to capture those candid shots of grandkids

- costs less than $500.00

- IQ is excellent

- good in low lite (for indoor photos)

- view finder ( I would really miss one)

I do not want an SLR as I do not wish to deal with more than the lens that comes with the camera.

Would like the camera to be large enough or have a bump on it so I can hang onto it. My hands are not as nimble as they use to be. I have returned cameras the size of cell phones.

I don't care about video.

I look forward to your recommendations.

BTW my "old" olympus D550 digi has died. It has been a surprise to me when I have brought home "new " cameras that the photos taken with 3 mp were superior .

Thanks

I
texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2

I-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Canon G-11, the Kodak Z-981, and the Panasonic FZ-35 all have viewfinders, nicely meet your requirements, and have greatly reduced shutter lag.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:09 PM   #3

I'm hoping I can see , feel and touch the cameras you recommended in a brick and mortar store.

They sound like they fit my requirements.

I've been wondering about fujifilm finepix s1500 and s1800 models. Do you have any opinion about them?

In reading many threads in this forum I've noticed that 14mp cameras do not sound as tho they produce high quality photos due to the small sensor problem. So i wonder about the kodak z981. I like its price.

Sadly from reading many camera reviews it sounds like cameras are not built to last any more. So investing a huge amount of $$$$ might not be wise.

I'm on overload after reading reviews etc. for about 2 months now. Finding this forum is one of the best things I've done lately.

I've been reluctant to order a camera over the net. Sometimes the delivery person just tosses the box over the fence.

Should I trust internet sites? Is it as easy to return a camera as it sounds on the forum?

I tried to purchase a Kodak Z915 after reading your recommendations to others but cannot find one in a store. Where have they gone??? Would you say it fits my needs?

thanks from a texasmom who desperately needs a camera
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:35 PM   #4

can you define low light, is it with the flash or with out. If it is without a flash, only the canon G11 and nikon p7000 will meet your needs, as they have larger sensors and have a optical viewfinder.

PS if you are not getting right away, the canon G12 should be coming out also. So that is one more option in your price range.

Out of your price range would be the lx5 to get a evf you need to add 200 dollar to the price. An for that price I would get an epl-1 and the vf2 over the lx5 and evf

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:53 PM   #5

"can you define low light, is it with the flash or with out"

Ahhh, good question. I like to do both. Sometimes flash ruins a good low light photo.
I will read the specs on nik p7000.
I like to have some manual control over settings.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:53 PM   #6

texasmom-

Definitely stay away from the Fuji S-1800 and above. The have had uniformly poor user and professional reviews. The Kodak Z-915 is one of Kodak's most popular cameras, due to it below $100 price, and it is very hard to find in stores. It does not have a view finder.

The Z-981 does indeed have an EVF and it has had good professional and user reviews. It can usually be found in "big box" stores. Amazon is a huge retailer that has an excellent record and an excellent 30 day no hassle, no charge return policy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:56 PM   #7

For your budget and having a vf or evf, the canon G11 or nikon p7000 would be the best option with the low light requirements.

The panasonic option will add 200 more to the price. Making cost nearly as much as an olympus epl-1 with the VF2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmom View Post
"can you define low light, is it with the flash or with out"

Ahhh, good question. I like to do both. Sometimes flash ruins a good low light photo.
I will read the specs on nik p7000.
I like to have some manual control over settings.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:30 PM   #8

Default desperately trying to choose camera

I visited my local Best buy today to see a Canon G11 but they don't have one and said none near me have one either and never will.

It would seem my best choice in the $500 range is between the G11 and the Nikon P7000.

I am so reluctant to order both cameras online to try them out.

Now I'm having cold feet about spending so much $$$. I started out trying to get a camera under $200 without success (returned a few to local stores) and then read reviews about cameras under $400 to no avail.

Are there any cameras meeting my requirements under $400 ???

Buying a camera has become a chore (sigh).
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:35 PM   #9

for 500 dollars I would get an olympus epl1 m4/3 evil camera for the same price. As 500 is allot, for a fix lens camera.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:43 PM   #10

In reading about the canon g11 I see that it creates raw files. Further I read that I could save a file in raw and jpeg.
COuld I save a photo in jpeg only???? Seems like doing both would take battery life.
If I use raw what software must I use on my computer? It seems to me that most online photo printing does not accept raw files. I could be wrong about this. Does anyone know?