Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:50 PM   #1

Default the newer mega zooms

ok so i decided i'm sticking to my original thought and get a new mega zoom. So now my question is b/c all 3 of the ones i have chocen are so new, what have you heard about them so far? looking at the panasonic FZ100, FZ 40 and Canon sx 30is. originally was looking at the sx20is and fz40 and was so confused on which to get.
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Well, the SX30IS is still an unknown, we have not really seen any images from it or anything. so its a bit of uncharted waters.

The FZ100 and FZ40. The FZ100 has the better video (no streaking MOS sensor), but it seems to be a bit inconsistent. When its good its real good, but it can miss as well. For 100$ less the FZ40 seems to be a more consistent performer and performas much like the fz35 did but with a longer lens for all practical purposes.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:42 AM   #3

awsome thanks! i guess i will have to just sit and be a bit more pacient for some sx30is reviews etc to come out. I will need a camera by the end of the year, so i do have a bit of time to read reviews when they come out....

my thought is what if the sx30is is equal to the sx20is in the end as the fz 40 is very close to the fz35... then how do i choose ?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:51 AM   #4
Super Moderator

well similar to the FZ40 vs FZ35, do you need the extra zoom range that the FZ40 and the SX30 have over the FZ35/SX20.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:59 AM   #5

You have extra zoom with FZ 35 when you shot at EZ modes without distortion and it reaches 35x optic zoom

Last edited by imut; Sep 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:24 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
You have extra zoom with FZ 35 when you shot at EZ modes without distortion and it reaches 35x optic zoom
actually, you always have 18x optical zoom. any zoom beyond that is a digital zoom and is accomplished by cropping the image.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
actually, you always have 18x optical zoom. any zoom beyond that is a digital zoom and is accomplished by cropping the image.
Exactly, for me I would rather just crop the image when back home as I have the option of the higher resolution shot if needed rather than all being reduced quality and missing out on some good high res shots. I've heard some birders say they like to see birds tighter in the screen when shooting, I personally say wait until they are closer and get a better photo in the first place.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:43 AM   #8

And then there's the Fujifilm HS-10. 30x (720mm) optical zoom. 51mm (1224mm) if you add the Olympus TCON-17. Triple IS and LOTS of bells & whistles.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:38 PM   #9

well i did want around 24zoom, which the fz 40 has, i don't think i would need the 30 that the hs10 and canon 30is have..... the fuji is off my list do the reviews i have read and what each camera store has told me.... lots of noise at low iso, etc....

OK........So i went into a few camera stores again today and guess what.... each said that in the end they probally will both be great mega zooms and will probally stay on the top 2 best but once again they all said that i still would be best to go iinto a base entry dslr... I told them i don't know much about settings, etc but b/c i want better pics they said that especially in low light the only way to get better is in a dlsr. They said that even if i kept it in auto mode most of them time till i learnt about the camera better and how to use it i would still get better pics in the auto mode then in a mega zoom? what are you thoughts on it..... best buy also told me that they have for a 120 bucks a guy that will come to you house and show you and teach you everything you need to know about that specific camera, so i guess that is always a option too.... what are your thoughts...