Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:17 AM   #21

nidhin-

When purchasing a used DSLR camera, you will see them advertised at "body only" as well as with a lens, that is usually the kit lens, generally an 18-55mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:41 AM   #22
Super Moderator

but stay away from the "value kits" that include tripods/cases/filters/other random stuff as it is usually of very low quality.

just get the body with the standard kit lens. get your accessories individually.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:57 AM   #23

right now i am interested in a compact super zoom but while bying a dslr i will keep your advice in mind. I had another problem, do you think that the lack of a thumb dial make a big difference in the lumix fz35?
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:08 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin999 View Post
right now i am interested in a compact super zoom but while bying a dslr i will keep your advice in mind. I had another problem, do you think that the lack of a thumb dial make a big difference in the lumix fz35?
Nope, not for the type of shooting you intend.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:39 AM   #25

just my thought, but i wouldn't have thought a compact megazoom camera would be as good a learning tool as an entry level dslr. while it would have more reach, it would have lower iq and generally more and menus, which is more frustrating than a dslr. keep in mind you can get a longer lens in the future with the dslr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin999 View Post
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:02 PM   #26

I looked into getting a 'Magazoom' myself but went for a DSLR in the end as for me it would be a great way to learn photography and also grow with it by being able to buy more lenses etc.

Also, i hate EVF!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
nidhin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Your most cost effective solution would be to purchase the Panasonic FZ-35, providing you live in the USA. The extra $100.00 you save can be used for needed accessories.

Sarah Joyce
The price gap on Amazon (today) seems way too narrow between the FZ-35 (Today back up to $314.88, up from $299.99) and the FZ-40 (Today down to $367.53). I understand the difference between the two may not be worth $100, but how about $50?
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:05 PM   #28

GlenN-

Thanks for that info on the latest prices. IMO at a $50 price spread, I would go for the newer FZ-40 model.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:07 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
The price gap on Amazon (today) seems way too narrow between the FZ-35 (Today back up to $314.88, up from $299.99) and the FZ-40 (Today down to $367.53). I understand the difference between the two may not be worth $100, but how about $50?
i would go with the fz40 then as well. image quality looks pretty similar, plus the fz40 gives you a more versatile zoom and from what i hear, great handling.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:54 AM   #30

i think in my list to the fz40 has snatched the top position from its predecessor fz35 after this news
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote