Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:36 PM   #1

Default pro like features for a budget!

I am new to this forum and an amature photographer
I am looking for a camera as the stepping stone for my career.
My top priorities are good image quality, dSLR like manual controls to play with different settings, good wide angle coverage of the lens with atleast 18x zoom and it should feel like a dslr
I am limited by my budget so a true dslr is out of the question. After extensive research i have short listed the following cameras:
panasonic lumix fz40,
canon sx20is,
i have removed nikon p100 from my list because of its image quality issue which every one is talking about,
Is the brand new canon sx30is good terms of IQ and will it be available for less than 400$
or do you suggest me to go for the older lumix fz35 for its exeptional image quality
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:56 PM   #2

nidhin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Your most cost effective solution would be to purchase the Panasonic FZ-35, providing you live in the USA. The extra $100.00 you save can be used for needed accessories.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

You mention that this is a stepping stone for your career, are you looking to move into photography? A little more background on that will help. Do you have a camera currently and anything else that might help us out in giving advice not only on a camera but possible progression for you etc.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:07 PM   #4

i am a beginner with very limited photographic background but i want a camera which would facilitate an easy transition to dslr
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:11 PM   #5

The Panasonic FZ-35 would be an excellent "stepping stone' to an entry level DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:07 PM   #6

The Canon Powershot SX20 IS is currently on sale for $269 from buydig.com. It is a little cheaper than the Panasonic Lumix FZ35. Both cameras is about the same price and same class. You can't go wrong with either one. However, I like the SX20 IS because of the hot shoe feature which you can attach an external flash and flip-out LCD panel viewer. To me, this camera is more pro like.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:34 PM   #7
Super Moderator

In that case you are looking at the right sort of camera. I would agree the SX20 or the FZ35 would be good. The image quality on the Panasonic is just higher, but I have to say that if you are considering progressing further then having an option to add an external flash would be very helpful. Knowing how to use flash well will really improve your photography, not only indoors/low light but in many outdoor situations.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I think you can't go wrong either way. Mark laid out the pros and cons of each, either way should be a great start into photography.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:59 PM   #9

What about buying a 2nd hand DSLR to learn with?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:02 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
What about buying a 2nd hand DSLR to learn with?
That was going to be my initial suggestion and why I wanted a bit more background. I still think it is valid if you get something with a warranty but the lens range desired isn't going to be as cheap, however the learning will be much better (if a bit harder at first).