Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Suggestions for photographer ready to move to a DSLR

A friend of mine is looking at getting his wife a DSLR with a good range of lenses.

She takes photos of everything from birds, pets, family photos, flora, fauna, buildings, drag racing.

She enjoys photography and up to know has been using a point and shoot with integral video.

But they have seen the pictures taken with my Pentax K10D/Km and assorted Pentax lenses and want to move up.

They would like to have equipment that will enable her to take pix of the same quality as mine.

She also likes to take video, with her current P+S. In addition they have a separate video (Samsung) camera.

So.....I'm suggesting the following equipment:

• Pentax KX with 18-55mm kit lens...on sale right now....and she likes colours other then black.
  • Pentax 55-300 mm lens
Possibly, I may suggest :

• Pentax 16-45 mm lens as it's sharper, better lens in my opinion. I have both the 18-55 and the 16-45.
  • B+W UV filter for each lens.
  • Good camera bag..Lowepro, Tamrac, Kata...etc...that will carry all the above equipment. Any recommendations ?
At first I'm sure she will be a bit intimidated by the complexity of a DSLR compared to her P+S.

But I plan to suggest setting the KX on automatic...also auto ISO (adjusts between 100-400) so it's just a question of zooming the lenses and pressing the shutter button.

Eventually when she gets comfortable with the DSLR....I can show her the added features.

As far as I know the KX has a sterling reputation.

Any suggestions...does this seem like a good plan...any recommendations ?

Thanks, Les.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Hi there, Les-

Is there a fixed budget that this couple has? I have noticed that there some used KX models becoming available on E-Bay in the last month. You proposed two lens kit sound like the way to go.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3

The thing that jumps out at me is the Drag Racing.

Canon has a better AF system for sports/action shooting, and their 70-300 IS USM is a better lens than the Pentax 55-300, especially for shooting sports/action. If that will be a significant part of her shooting, she may be better off with a Canon dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4

If you're going to serve as the "expert friend" while she's learning the ropes, ISTM that a camera that you're comfortable with is at least as important as one that she will be comfortable with. If Pentax is within your comfort zone, there's no reason not to suggest that AFAICS.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Les-

Is there a fixed budget that this couple has? I have noticed that there some used KX models becoming available on E-Bay in the last month. You proposed two lens kit sound like the way to go.

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,

Money is no object and they always buy new. Thanks for your view. It's nice to have confirmation from a experienced photographer such as yourself.

I think the KX and 2 lens kit is what I will recommend.

Les
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
If you're going to serve as the "expert friend" while she's learning the ropes, ISTM that a camera that you're comfortable with is at least as important as one that she will be comfortable with. If Pentax is within your comfort zone, there's no reason not to suggest that AFAICS.
Good point. I will be her adviser and I'm more familiar with Pentax then other DSLR brands.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:50 PM   #7

for what your wife shoots, the 2 kit lenses will do a nice job actually.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The thing that jumps out at me is the Drag Racing.

Canon has a better AF system for sports/action shooting, and their 70-300 IS USM is a better lens than the Pentax 55-300, especially for shooting sports/action. If that will be a significant part of her shooting, she may be better off with a Canon dSLR.
She wants clarity above all and I've had experience with a Canon 70-300 mm. A very good lens, but I find the Pentax 55-300mm seems to be sharper...at the 250-300 mm range.

She won't be doing much drag racing photography and she won't be doing the real quick stuff, such as top fuel....more stock street....so slower.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:49 PM   #9

Well, Les-

Your original two lens kit sounds very reasonable to me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote