Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:29 PM   #11

correction: the pentax comes with the 50-300lense it's the sony with the 200. seems like it's a no brainer, i'm getting the pentax! thanks.
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:11 PM   #12

I haven't held (and played) with the Pentax kx but I can almost guarantee that if Live View is an important feature to you, the Sony will be a much better option. So far, I haven't seen any LV on any DSLR that is faster and better implemented than the Sony's.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:09 PM   #13

If LiveView is a priority, then look at the Sony A-500. If you are a good shopper you should be able to purchase the A-500 with the Sony 18-55mm and the Sony 55-200mm for under $600.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:51 PM   #14

yes u.s. dollar...lol... i actually found one at our local future shop and they wanted a decient price for it but it's a demo model... not too sure about buying a demo model?

I think what is more important to me is image quality especially in low light/ indoors and the second thing being live view lcd...

I did play with both of them this friday adn the pentax is quite a bit smaller and lighter but runs off AA....... then the sony was very nice too and yes very quick live view lcd but way more expensive, around250-300 more and that's WAY over my price limit unless i got the demo model whihc i have heard good things and bad thing about in getting one...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:03 PM   #15

With a Demo, you get a full factory warranty. If you go that way, use the heck out of it until the store's return policy is about to expire, to see if there are any major issues with it. That way, you can return it and get your money back if there's a problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:23 PM   #16

true. The negitive things i have heard from some that have bought or known someone who bought demo was the shutters started sticking. with places like future shop, they won't fix it there it has to be sent off to the factory and in the end it took both these people 6 months before they had their camera back in their hands but if i go to a camera store like henrys then they fix it there, so you get it back a lot sooner and if it's a battle of warrenty they told me they will give you a lender until your gets back in your hands.... They can't match the others price though as it's a demo, i don't know if i feel secure enough to buy a demo or not yet???? if i heard from others that have bough a demo before and had no issues i would change my mind but i don't know anyone....