Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Unless your budget has been fixed by the wife!!
Even then. Get a P&S or prepare to or
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:05 PM   #12

As an enthusiastic A-230 user, the A230 offers a good value and a lot for the money. What gets dicey is that it is used.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:21 PM   #13

Yea, i know but 2nd hand it has to be, because of the budget. My mate wants to buy a DSLR now while his wife lets him!!

mtclimber, as an A230 user, would you rate it highly? Is it as good as the more expensive Canon 450D? Everyone goes on about Canon and Nikon all the time one wonders if anything else is any good!!!

If it was a toss up between the 2, which would you buy and why? He has tried both and likes both!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:00 PM   #14

Both the Sony A230 and the Canon XSi are pretty much on par with each other. I have the XSi and a Sony A200 (one generation prior before the A230) with a different standard zoom 18-70mm F/3.5-5.6. The lens of the 18-55mm on the A230 is a good kit lens and much better than the older 18-70mm. I found the Sony A200 is easier to use than the Canon XSi and a lot easier to learn using it for a beginner. The A230 is very much the same camera with a smaller body with minor differences. With the saving on getting the A230, you can use the money to get accessories for the camera. If you are on a tight budget, the A230 can use the old Minolta lenses which you can buy used at very good prices.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:26 PM   #15

koolpc-

You have seen me post all kinds of A-230 photo samples. As WCKser, said, it is an easy camera to use and will go to ISO 3200, while the XSi will not. I have owned and used both camera extensively, and I see them as about equal. However, I would every time, grab the A-230 first when heading out on as assignment. Why? Because it is more friendly, and easier to get the most from, in a tight photo situation. In short, you cannot go wrong with either DSLR camera. However, I would select the A-230 providing it was in great condition.

Here is another A-230 photo sample. Please just click on the link below.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...5_SbsyU-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:07 PM   #16

The 450D has the better AF system also. Much quicker then the a230. But with the 3200iso of the A230. It is really not that good at 3200iso.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:44 PM   #17

I have no fault with the Sony A-230's AF system at at all, and I am an actual user. Shoturtle is not a 450D/XSi user. Now if he was saying the Canon T-1i and T-2i had a better AF system, I would surely agree with him very readily.

And for what it is worth, here is an ISO 3200 photo from the A-230. it is really not that bad at all! Please click on the link below:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...2_mGNMM-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:29 PM   #18

the xsi uses the same 9 point AF system as the T1i and t2i, now the XS uses a 7 point and there is a difference. So yes the xsi it is better then the A230. The 3200iso is a bit noisy.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 18, 2010 at 4:09 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:04 AM   #19
Super Moderator

the used part is a little bit scary, how are the factory refurbished prices there for either model? i would feel much more safe purchasing a factory refurbished from a reputable dealer than a used body.

also, on the new camera front, I know the Pentax KX here in the USA is going for incredibly cheap prices, I am not sure how much they are over there compared to your friends budget, but here they are going for ~450USD which is an incredible value for the amount of camera you get. It may be over his budget as I don't know the prices there, but just wanted to mention it.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:40 AM   #20

Mate went for the 450D body which he got for 220 and the place where he bought it from, Jacobs, which are a nationwide company, give 12 months warranty on all their 2nd hand stuff!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote