Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:44 PM   #1

Default What camera to buy???

Hello, I have no clue what camera to get as I haven't used one in decades and hope someone could help?

I'm looking for a small camera, the ones I saw people use where they don't have to glue the camera to their eyes but just extend the arm and shoot... :^) (How do you call them? I Googled to find them and learn but they all have that protruding cylinder...) Would this type of camera be good for sending pictures to my computer?

What I need it for at present is for taking pictures of my furniture in my apartment and filing them in my computer, but I'd also use it for all kinds of other photos indoors or outdoors. So...should it be a digital camera? Also, does it have to be compatible with my computer?

My budget is very small at this time so I wonder if I'll be able to find the camera I need (and hopefully a good one too) for way way below $100?

Of course, if and when I get one...it will be an odyssey for me to try to learn from scratch how to use it! lol!

Thanks ever so much for any ideas! Adela
Adela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:55 PM   #2

they called point and shoot! choose any they all fine

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Camera...86442011&enc=1
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:46 PM   #3

adela-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

In the under $100 category, there is the kodak Z-915 that has received very good reviews. Many Forum members have purchased the Z-915.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:20 AM   #4

here's 3 pics i shot with my kodak Z-915. i shrunk them but didn't do anything else at all - no brightening, sharpening, etc. considering the price, i think the iq is very good.

you can see the shortcoming in this camera by checking out the phone lines in the upper left of this one.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:23 PM   #5

Hello idenny, mtclimber and pcake! I'm so sorry that I wasn't notified of the answers, and when I wanted to come back here to check...I couldn't remember the name of the site! I'm glad I'm here and have now fixed the "Instant email notification".

idenny: thank you for the link but they don't show the ones with a large square window...

Sara: thank you for suggesting kodak Z-915. I will go and look into it.

pcake: thank you for the lovely pictures. I confess I'm not a photo fan so I didn't see anything wrong with those phone cables. You say this camera doesn't do anything other than shrinking the photo? Well....If it has a big square view finder perhaps I found my camera! lol!

Thanks to all again! Adela
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:28 PM   #6

You're welcome, Adela-

We are always here to help you.

Here is an additional Kodak Z-915 photo, an indoor photo with flash. Please just click on the link below.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ko...4_uNQ9N-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7

Oh thanks Sara! Nice picture and a lovely lady! Is it you? I read some reviews of the Z915 and it seems that after many comments for and against...the bottom line is it's worth it (it also tapes videos a bonus I didn't expect!!!) So I'll try to buy it when I find a better price.

There is though something that puzzles me to death! Why is it that nowhere in the internet do they show the digital cameras I always see people use WITHOUT that protuberant cylinder in front instead of being flat with a large, square window, and with which you can take pictures at arm's length rather than putting the camera glued the one eye???

I Googled with "point and shoot" digital cameras and not one was presented with the flat, large square window (or viewfinder?).

Sorry for asking so much again, but I know you and/or others could help me understand this aspect of the cameras?

Thank you again! Adela
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenny View Post
they called point and shoot! choose any they all fine

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Camera...86442011&enc=1
If only there was any truth to that .... lol
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:00 PM   #9

Adela-

There are very few cameras left in today's market that us an optical viewfinder (one where you bring the camera to you eye. Most are equipped with an LCD that you hold at arms length.

These cameras are called "Point and Shoot" camera because they are designed to fully use the automatic mode. The result is you poin the camera and shoot, by depressing the shutter release.Yes, that was me in the photo that I posted.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:14 PM   #10

Hi Sarah, I referred to the flat cameras with large square window which do not appear when I google "Point and Shoot" cameras. What they ALL show are those with a protruding cylinder in front. Any explanation?

Adela