Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:06 PM   #1

Default Kodak z950 vs Canon SD940IS

I'm trying to find a good point-shoot camera for a family friend and am deciding between the Kodak z950 and canon's sd940is.

I read on this forum somewhere about how great and impressive the z950 is and was about to get it. However, the sd940is is on sale right now for $140 + 4 s/h. The z950 is $130 (free s/h) on Amazon. sd940is is only $14 more. Which is the better deal? Is the sd940is one step above the z950?

Our friend is retired and travels a lot to different places around the world but is not technically proficient. She did say she would like to learn how to take pictures correctly one day.

However, photo quality is priority above all other features.

So Kodak z950 or marginally more expensive (but on sale) Canon SD940IS?
enduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:11 PM   #2

enduril-

Both the Canon SD-940 and the Kodak Z-950 are good cameras. And this is something of a toss-up but the features really are a bit different. The SD-940 begins at 28mm and zooms only to 112mm giving you only 4X optical zoom. The Z-950 does not have the wide angle, but the zoom reaches from 35mm to 350mm for a much greater 10X optical zoom.

To me it would seem that the longer zoom would be more beneficial to a person who travels often.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:16 PM   #3

Yeah I noticed the zoom was a big difference between the two. I was mainly wondering whether the canon sd-940 had at least as good if not better photo quality as the z950.

So Kodak has the awesome zoom whereas the canon is smaller, lighter, and has the wide angle. Hmmm, tough choice.

I am liking that zoom... I just hope I am not missing out on a great deal with the canon.

Thanks Sarah!
enduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:32 PM   #4

enduril-

Buy both and test them out yourself. Then return the one that you think failed your test. As I noted previously, it is a tough choice. But the added zoom is attractive.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:39 AM   #5

cant go wrong with the zoom!
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote