Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:10 PM   #11

I decided to get a dSLR after my beloved Sony F717 died and I discovered that none of the fixed lens cameras at the time (2003, I think) were as good as it was. I carefully read all the reviews and pretty much decided to get a Canon Rebel (whichever model was out at the time). I went into Costco to buy it and handled the Canon, the Nikon and the Pentax DS. I walked out with the DS for several reasons - I liked the feel and ergonomics of it best (Nikon felt too big, the Canon had a cramped grip and that model had a small viewfinder), plus it was cheaper for me - I had several Pentax film lenses from my film days. They were all manual lenses but I used them for a long time until I could replace them with better lenses. I still occasionally use them and in fact, used one today.

I bought the K100 because I really felt a need for stabilization.

I bought the K20 because I had sold the DS when I bought the K10 and was frustrated with my particular K10 because it had AF problems - something that it took me over a year to figure out because I shoot often with manual focus lenses.

I bought the K7 because I thought the higher fps would be useful for shooting birds. While I love the interface which is different than the previous Pentax cameras, I haven't shot any birds in months. But it's still a fun camera.

I've been thinking of getting either a K-x or the new K-r for its low light capability. It's better than the K7. Of course, if the new K-5 matches the low noise and dynamic range of the K-r, I'll have a tough time deciding - I love having the more advanced features of the K7.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:22 PM   #12

I bought the Sony a550 for two reasons: had to have 16:9 for family shots and wanted live view. little did i know that the sony implementation of af for live view would be so good. just a bonus to me. that's all. i was almost going to buy the nikon d90 until i realized it didn't have 16:9. hard to figure why they wouldn't just put it in as a firmware update. it's just a crop. no hardware changes required. surprising.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:24 PM   #13

A separate question might be "what do we regret about what we bought". I'm unhappy that the future of full-frame with Sony is uncertain. It's not with Nikon or Canon and now I wonder if I made a mistake. This won't be too important until I want another lens. Then full-frame or not? Don't know right now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:01 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Yashika and Canon film SLR cameras.

Got a 20D not long after my first daughter was born. That was a breakthrough camera IMO and ruled the enthusiast/semi-pro market for around 18 months.

Eventually got myself a 5D and 24-105 kit. But mostly used it with a 50mm prime. Another breakthrough camera.

Upgraded to the 5DMkII because it was slightly better than the 5D in every way and for portrait/landscape is astonishingly good value for money. Mostly use it with a 50mm prime.

After getting the 5DMkII I bought myself a Zeiss Ikon 35mm film camera and Nikon scanner because I wanted to try rangefinder photography. This was probably a mistake because it has made me want to own a Leica M9 - which is unquestionably the camera I would have if I could reasonably afford it. Unfortunately my Canon gives images almost as good at 1/4 of the price. :-(

May get an EVIL camera soon. But there's nothing on the market that quite meets all the items on my wishlist. And I would probably have to sell the rangefinder to fund the EVIL.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:39 AM   #15

Thankyou to everyone who has replied.
It is nice to be able to read what everyone has and
the reasons for their use. I am hoping to upgrade one day
and I have started out just doing general sort of photos for the
time being. Mainly landscape and buildings around here in Split.
While taking photos I notice and understand a bit better about
low light capabilitiys and the HS-10 would not be best in that area. Having
said that I no doubt beleive that it has to do with my skill factor
which is extreme novice. I am learning and as I said thanks to all who have replied.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:53 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasha View Post
Thankyou to everyone who has replied.
It is nice to be able to read what everyone has and
the reasons for their use. I am hoping to upgrade one day
and I have started out just doing general sort of photos for the
time being. Mainly landscape and buildings around here in Split.
While taking photos I notice and understand a bit better about
low light capabilitiys and the HS-10 would not be best in that area. Having
said that I no doubt beleive that it has to do with my skill factor
which is extreme novice. I am learning and as I said thanks to all who have replied.
A tripod could be your best friend for your needs is you are struggling with light then with manual setting I would expect you to get good results.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:29 AM   #17

I had two choices in mind when I decided to go to a DSLR an E620 because I had Olympus film cameras and never had a bad one. The second was the EOS 500d I had an A640 and I was very pleased with it. While making my mind up the EOS 550d came out and that was the one I settled on. Regrets none, I have just come back from 2 weeks in Florida where we have seen our Grand Daughters and done some parks. I found carrying the 550d around no problem and with the purchase of a 55-250 and a 50 1.8 I have some great pictures. I will post some soon
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:41 PM   #18

My last serious camera purchase was a medium format Mamiya 7 with two lenses. That was 13 years ago. Today i need to shoot more than 20 paintings and art works from a catalogued artist (a former family member) to send to Christie's, Sotheby's and some European marchand, to be appraised and eventually auctioned and sold. The quality of the picks is of outmost importance. This is a tricky self assignment, cause it involves lighting, using a polarizer filter, shooting some medium close ups, signatures, frames, dates, etc. and also printing a couple of brochures. Unable to afford a full format dSLR, i had decided to buy a T2i (already have some Canon accessories, a SpeedLite flash etc.) but didn't liked the feeling and the cropped viewfinder so ended up with an Eos 7D. Hopefully this investment will represent a fraction of the total value i'll get from the paintings. Hopefully.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:48 PM   #19

Pentax Kx. With five frames per second, useable ISO 12,800 and extensive in camera controls at $425 body only, it's the best camera bang for the buck on the planet.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:05 PM   #20

My take D-SLRs are not for everyone as I learned:

For those who know me I shoot fire and rescue stuff 90% of the time plus some newspaper stuff on the side. I get into a lot of smoke, water and fire at times. I go where few others would go I run up to a disaster as others are fleeing and never think twice about capturing images of heroes in action.

I bought a Sony A-200 to get better low light images and then shortly after it got wet by accident (sony did repair it once and did not want to repair it a second time some 4 months later when they asked me to sell out $200)) and I panicked as I had a mega shoot to do in less than 14 days and bought an A-350. Both cameras after time started to developed series of focusing issues from stuff getting into the sensor from shooting a lot around smoke and fire. After fighting with the cameras, getting them professionally cleaned only to have more issues. Also for the way I work I found many of the low light lenses did not meet my needs (maybe thats why I was changing lenses and having problems.) The only lens that really worked for me was the 28-300mm in daylight or under lights at night.

So I decided as much money as I had put into this in 14 months time I needed to move on. So I started to look for a better all in one lens that went to 300mm plus a better body that would not have issues....

After a lot of help on this forum I decided D-SLR doesn't work for what I need it to do for me. So I started to look for the best zoom bridge camera I could get. I now own the Fuji HS10 and over 16,500 shots later is still working like day 5 (the first 4 days I had to reset the settings and play with it get the settings right). Its also the best camera I have ever used, sure the D-SLRs were good while they worked but this camera has worked through it all so far.

I still have both bodies, the 2 kit lens and 2 other zooms for them as well as a UV filter, 2 batteries chargers and 4 batteries. I'd sell the cameras and stuff off but since they need repairs I don't want to cheat anyone so just kept them.....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote