Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:19 PM   #21

Olympus 510, kit lens, and 70 300. Why? I have a dslr that gives good quality shots in 4/3 format which allows 2x crops in a fairly small package. As most will tell you it's the lens and Olympus has great quality lenses. Although not fast the quality of the 70 300 is superb for a lens of it's reach, weight, and price. You can kick it up a notch to the F2.8 50 200 on up to the F2.8 300 coming in at 6 grand or so but when you can get good quality pictures from 14mm up to 600mm equivalent in a dslr for under 600 dollars you really can't go wrong.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:11 AM   #22

40 years ago I was in the Navy on board ship working with radar and then given a camera to take pictures of other ships and their antennas. I also picked up a Spotmatic II and really liked the size. Drifted away from photography while going to school - film and processing was too expensive for my budget. Fast foward 30 some years and now with digital, I no longer need film. Was using a point and shoot and missed a whale breaching in front of a glacier in Alaska. Came back and started looking at dSLRs.

Settled on Pentax due to 1) in body stabilization 2) very good optical lenses 3) size and 4) I liked their product line...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:13 AM   #23

I'm impressed with all the Pentax and Oly fans here (and there are no Nikon people).

I personally went for the Sony a200. I foolishly got it since it had more features at a cheaper price than a Canon XS or Nikon d40 (since I was moving from a point and shoot, I was getting it for the features, not the system). However, I am blessed because even that I know a lot more about each system, I still would choose Sony since I'm on a tight budget. I see my Nikon d3000 writhe in pain when he shops for lenses because of the price, and then I told him I got a Tamron 70-300mm for $50.

And I've put so little money in it ($400) that if I decide to jump ship (which is very unlikely) I won't have deep losses. But I like the system so much I think I'll be going for an a700 with tamron 17-50 eventually........

Sony seems very serious about the DSLR market, and as a Sony owner it makes it more exciting.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:31 AM   #24

t2i - because it is entry level dslr
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:47 AM   #25

I bought a Nikon D60 against everyone's recommendation. Why? Simply because it was the one that fit the best in my hands. Do I regret it? Yes and No. The only time I regret it is when I'm shoping for a new lens, however I might look at getting a D90 or D7000 and that will solve that issue. But for the most part I love my Nikon and after trying a friends D90 for a few days, I was thoroughly impressed and in the end I'm glad I bought a Nikon because the upgrade path is substantial.
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:37 AM   #26

I began with the KM 5d, so it was a natural progression for me to move to theony A-200 as my next camera. I won a contest where the prize was a Sony A-230 equipped with the Sony 18-55mm kit kens and the Sony 55-200mm lens. So I sold my A-200, and happily used my A-230 kit until just a month ago when I purchased a Sony A-500 body at a great price.

I also shoot with a borrowed Pentax Kx and a Canon T-1i thanks to friends. All in all I like the Sony system and feel very much "at home" when using it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:52 AM   #27

Pentax X7024 x Optical Zoom cause I am on a Budget and I got it as I could make payments on it... but looking to get back to work so I can go bigger.... now if I can find a job that includes use of camera to get in some classes as well... (that has became a death in Colleges... Photography classes... use to be loads of them now hardly any... $26,000.00 for a class at the Seattle Art Institute... I can not afford that...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:21 PM   #28

I have an Olympus E-520 with 3 kit lenses
14-42 40-150 and 70-300 or 140-600
I can now take good pictures from 14mm to 600mm . What else do you need ?

Why
I did not see any bad reviews on the Oly E-520
Price, it got it used in MINT condition for under $ 700. with all 3 leneses
It was too much camera for a friend of my wifes.
I need the 140-600 ( nature photography )
Did I say I got it CHEAP

Last edited by FredS; Sep 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:12 PM   #29

OK, Mr. Flasha-

You have received a lot of very good replies in this thread. We need to hear your response. Are you a DSLR user? Are you making a DSLR decision? I am interested to know: what was your purpose with this thread?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:33 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
OK, Mr. Flasha-

You have received a lot of very good replies in this thread. We need to hear your response. Are you a DSLR user? Are you making a DSLR decision? I am interested to know: what was your purpose with this thread?

Sarah Joyce
In the previous post by Flasha that was probably answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasha View Post
Thankyou to everyone who has replied.
It is nice to be able to read what everyone has and
the reasons for their use. I am hoping to upgrade one day
and I have started out just doing general sort of photos for the
time being. Mainly landscape and buildings around here in Split.
While taking photos I notice and understand a bit better about
low light capabilitiys and the HS-10 would not be best in that area. Having
said that I no doubt beleive that it has to do with my skill factor
which is extreme novice. I am learning and as I said thanks to all who have replied.
Also his signature says HS10 and he has posted in the Fuji forum with his HS10, guessing he uses a Fuji HS10