Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Canon powershot sx130is vs sx210is

I'm looking for a family camera with zoom, I want a camera that's portable easy to use & that's a lot of fun. Also, what do you think of the panasonic Lumix zs5.
JJ
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:54 AM   #2

jjordan-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

There seems to be a bit of problem: Your title and your text do not seem to match. Just to be sure that we have covered all the bases, let's chat about the Canon SX-130, the Canon SX-120, and the Panasonic ZS5.

The SX130 is a new model that replaces the SX-120. It overcomes many of the problems that the SX-120 experienced. The SX130 has 12X optical zoom (28mm to 336mm as opposed to the 10X optical zoom: 36mm to 300mm zoom that was on the SX-120, giving the SX-130 a wide angle position as well as a longer zoom. The SX-130 has a more powerful built-in flash unit than the SX120. The SX-130 is 12mp, while the SX-120 was 10mp. HD video is now on the SX130, while it was missing from the SX-120. The SX-130 can zoom while filming HD video, the SX-120 did not zoom. The SX-130 now has the ability to re-focus after zooming in an HD video, a feature that was missing entirely from the SX-120. So, as you can clearly see the SX-130 is a major improvement over the now replaced SX-120.

On paper, the Panasonic ZS-5 specifications are very attractive. The ZS5 produces very good image quality outdoors. However, due to a very weak and small built-in flash unit the indoor image quality of the ZS5 really suffers. The effective flash range: the camera to subject distance tops out at around 7 to 8 feet indoors. To attempt to use the little light available from the built-in flash unit, the ZS5 raises the ISO setting quite measurably. The result is a lot of very darkness and visible noise in the indoor photos.

Taking these issues into consideration, the Canon SX-130 is the logical choice among these three cameras.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the help but the three cameras I was interested in where the canon powershot sx 130is, sx 210is & zs5. My problem is of the three. I've only been able to put my hands on the sx210is. & ZS5
JJ
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:02 PM   #4

jjordan-

My apologies, on mixing up the cameras. However, the SX-130 still is the winner. I own and use both the SX-210 and the SX130. Mid range zoom on the SX210 is fine but if you read the reviews carefully, the image quality suffers close and at the far end of the zoom.

It was the lagging sales of the SX-210 that spurred the development of the SX-130. On a scale of 1 to 10, the lens on the SX-130 gets a score of 7.5 to 8.0 The grade came down a bit due to F 3.4 beginning aperture. In contrast, the lens on the SX-210 only rates a score of 5.5 to 6.0. You can actually see the image quality difference when looking photos from each camera.

The SX-130 is available at Amazon, Adorama, and B &H, and most major retailers. here is a Canon SX-130 photo sample that illustrates the more powerful built-in flash unit quite nicely. Please just click on the link:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Cl...1_6upG3-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 20, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce Thankyou!!!!!
JJordan
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:58 AM   #6

I first heard about the SX130is on August 19th- the same day I had decided that my final purchase decision would be the SX120is. After reading a few reviews, it had me convinced that this would be worth waiting for. I received my SX130is late this morning- and have to say, right from the box it was just amazing. Every time in the past when purchasing a new camera, it takes some adjusting and "breaking in" before fully great-quality pictures come, but with this one, literally from the first shot it has been wonderful. The HD video also records wonderfuly, and the sound is great as well- even with using all of the 48x digital zoom! The one "downside" to the video mode is that the image doesn't auto-focus as you zoom in, at times you have to re-focus using the shutter just as you normally would when taking a picture, but I personally didn't find that too annoying once I figured it out. The miniature and fisheye modes are a blast to use, and the smart-shutter mode (takes the photo when a smile is detected, without using the shutter) is neat too. The LCD is a nice big size, and has an auto-rotate for images in the playback mode, as well as an option to scroll through them when selecting. A fun fact which I also noticed is that it has a "screensaver," which displays the time to save the screen (as a computer would). Although some might consider it a bit "bulky" compared to most compact point and shoots, the size is perfect for someone like me who has bigger hands, allowing for a decent grip and non-clumsy hold. Overall, I just absolutely LOVE this camera (which I why I already give it 5 stars, hands down). Definitely recomend this to anyone; is well worth the money! I love Canon Powershot Sx130is
jewyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:34 PM   #7

Default aperture

I had the Powershot SX100 IS and it died. I've looked at the SX120 and 130 and am concerned about the downgrade from 2.8 to 3.4 aperture. The SX100, also 2.4, wasn't a great low-light camera, but it wasn't terrible. Do the improvements on the 130 outweight this change?

Thanks
martesque is offline   Reply With Quote