Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:02 PM   #11

the d7000 was supposed to replace the d90 but its hitting above its weight class - its pretty impressive camera and certainly has afew things on the 7d but the 7d should i imagine (not having used either) be abit more of a premium quality piece of kit

nikon stirring the market up with it best bet would be to go get your hands on them and descide which you prefer the feel of
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 50D can shoot up to 6.3 fps while the 60D can only go as high as 5.3, but the 60D has a 63 zone metering system (like the 7D) while the 50D has 35 zones, it has an 18MP image sensor (like the 7D) compared to the 15MP sensor in the 50D, plus it has an articluating LCD 'Live View' display and can record video.

The 60D is an upgrade from the 50D.
I don't think everyone would agree that the 60D is an upgrade from the 50D. Many are saying it is an upgrade from the Rebel. Especially note that the 60D does not have a magnesium alloy body like the 50D or the Nikon D7000. There are other points to be made, but the net out is that the 50D is a true prosumer camera. The same can't be said of the 60D from what I've read.

Last edited by mdallie; Sep 22, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
mdallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallie View Post
I don't think everyone would agree that the 60D is an upgrade from the 50D. Many are saying it is an upgrade from the Rebel. Especially note that the 60D does not have a magnesium alloy body like the 50D or the Nikon D7000. There are other points to be made, but the net out is that the 50D is a true prosumer camera. The same can't be said of the 60D from what I've read.
Nikon D7000 does not have magnesium alloy body either, it has just top cover, the rest is plastic, look at the photo http://stephenzeller.wordpress.com/2...0-my-thoughts/
but it is still good camera but may be not so freezing proof due to the front plastic body.
kadarpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
My guess is that the IQ of the new Nikon will be just ahead of the 7D but time will tell.
Mark you might be right, but I truly think the Pentax K-5 has them both beat.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:14 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Mark you might be right, but I truly think the Pentax K-5 has them both beat.
i agree with you and mark here. i think both the d7000 and k5 will come out above the 7d in IQ a bit. i think it will be awfully close between the k5 and the d7000
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:19 PM   #16

when the dust settles, the k5 might might become the best semi pro camera on the market. The 7D the best semi pro sport shooter. And the d7000 the best advance dlsr on the market.

The IQ of the k-5 will be the cats meow image quality with aps-c. The with the lenses and higher fps, the 7D will be the sport shooters choice. The d7000 will be the choice of the high end avid photographer.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:44 PM   #17

The D7000 is below the D300 and above the D90. This is according to a review i read at http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/ (Hope this is not seen as advertising)

The D7000 is actually beter than the D300 is certain aspects and do have a magnesium body but i guess some of the front parts are plastic.

I am rather new to photography, only been taking it serious for the last 2 years or so and i find myself in a situation now where i want to upgrade to a more capable Nikon as well. I have a couple of lenses already and so are tied into the brand and to be honest i have not found any reasons thus far to want to jump ship.

I currently have a very entry level D3000 that has served me well upto now, i am now looking at the D7000 as a possible upgrade option. I need something that can handle higher ISOs and more frames per second (and vids would be a nice add-on) and wish to do a decent upgrade so that i dont have to do it again in a year or two.

Last edited by wayneb; Mar 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM.
wayneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:24 PM   #18

Good advice from every body, and as Craig (peripatetic) said, in paraphrase, they are about identical. So if someone asks you what brand of camera you own, which sounds better to you, Canon or Nikon? Practice saying them both a few times and one will begin to sound better than the other. THAT is the one you should go with.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:31 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Good advice from every body, and as Craig (peripatetic) said, in paraphrase, they are about identical. So if someone asks you what brand of camera you own, which sounds better to you, Canon or Nikon? Practice saying them both a few times and one will begin to sound better than the other. THAT is the one you should go with.
This is very dangerous advice, you might end up selling your house to buy a Hasselblad!