Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:23 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Wow, Fuji have done it. Oh my goodness...

Can you tell I'm a little excited?

My ultimate camera has just been unveiled. The Fuji Finepix X100.

Headlines:

1. 12Mp APS-C sensor.
2. 35mm (equivalent - actually 23mm) f2 lens. (Not interchangeable).
3. Hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder.

In other words - a digital equivalent of a Contax T. Or really a digital version of the purist's Leica M camera. This is the camera that the Leica X1 should have been.

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Please excuse me posting a link to the other place - mods feel free to replace it when Steve's link is available.

I can definitely sell my rangefinder and scanner, and I can probably sell all my Canon gear too! Knowing Fuji it's only a matter of time until they release a wide-angle version too.

This is simply the best camera news I have seen in the last 5 years!!!

The only downside is that it's only going to be available in 2011, and probably have such a massive pre-order that getting hard of one is going to be very tricky.

Last edited by peripatetic; Sep 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:15 PM   #2

I respect your feeling .It is a really good innovative steps which fuji has taken ...But already Sigma and Leica is having larger sensor in compact body .. The only new thing is hybrid viewfinder and some more control button on camera so that u can use this camera comfortably ..If i am not wrong the launching price will be around 800 dollars .then why not micro4/3 with interchangeable lens ..If u compare the size it is almost same like fuji...

Sigma Dp1s the price is now 300 dollars ...it is much more wide angle and smaller compare to fujiX100 but i do accept F4 and useless video with sigma dp1s .
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:17 PM   #3

It is almost the same price as the leica x1 according to rumors.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Craig.

I was wondering if you would take to this little camera. It seemed about everything you were looking for before.

Based on the price estimates i think you will need to sell all your gear to afford it. But it does look like they took a very luxury route with this one, full metal body, with the wrapping around the grip, etc. The EXR processing with a large sensor could be nice as well. But for me that hybrid viewfinder is just the neatest thing i have seen, and having external switch for everything (including the VF) very nice.

I wish it would come in at 800$, but its more likely to be ~1400-1500$.

sandeepsaman- while i respect your liking of the sigma, its not really in the same class here, in build or performance. but you do pay 1/4 the price, so which is a better value who knows. sigma's electronics can't match the big guys, and the slow performance of the sigma's showed that, however good their fovean sensors were
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:11 PM   #5

do I need one - no, do I want one - you bet
it least on paper it looks just about the ideal camera for most of my needs and wants and it looks sexy as hell with all those analogue dials instead of buttons and menus and a fast lens. the size is about perfect as well. if the IQ, low light performance and the AF speed live up to the mark set by the external design and the price $1200-1400 I will be seriously tempted to get one.
here is another cool looking site (sorry for putting yet another external link):
http://www.finepix-x100.com/
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:50 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I haven't had GAS this bad for a long time. :-)

The only thing it's missing from my wishlist is image stabilization. But I can live without that.

What to sell though? Probably the ZI first, I'll probably never choose the ZI over the X100 when I go out shooting for a day. That will probably pay most of the bill. I guess I'm tempted to hang onto the 5DMk2, but if it has to go then so it will. Heck it's not going to be so expensive that I couldn't afford to keep all my existing gear if I really want to.

Paradoxically the really nice thing about the X100 is that it ISN'T a system. I don't need to think about a whole new set of lenses, etc. It's just a one-off expenditure. Keep it until it stops working.

It makes me wonder though, if they can build this, then is there any reason why an M-mount FF version couldn't be in the works too? I bet they could do it at half the price of an M9.

Anything under 1,500 and I won't even think about it. Above that and I may have to make a plan.

It kinda seems like the perfect size too. It's not tiny. Slightly bigger than the M4/3 cameras.

Does it matter how a camera looks to anyone else? It does to me. This camera just looks beautiful to my eyes.

Last edited by peripatetic; Sep 21, 2010 at 1:54 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:30 AM   #7

Peri, I kind of share your excitement, but won't run selling your 5D II just yet - they are different beasts.
ZI goes for $600 (body only) -$2,500 (kit) depending on conditions. This should cover most of the X100 cost, may be sell a lens or two, but keep your 5D.
That X100 kind of reminds me the old Olympus 35RC - was a sweet little RF. And you are right - camera looks do matter, and this little Fuji looks great.
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:15 PM   #8

This camera can not sustain anything near a $1500 price tag. It's got to be below $1000 if Fuji wants to sell large quantities.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:07 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I don't think anyone has any real idea of what the demand curve will look like.

Leica is selling X1's at $2,000+. Fuji is selling their MF folder for $3,000+ and can't keep up with demand.

The thread over at rangefinderforum.com was up to 20 pages within a couple of hours of the announcement, almost everyone saying they wanted one. And the Japanese market is going to go nuts for this camera.

Will it sell in the same numbers Canon and Nikon post? Of course not. But it is going to sell a lot - whatever the price. First rumours are that it will be around $1,000. At that price I might buy two!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:16 PM   #10
Super Moderator

yea, i think the newer price estimates put it around 1000USD. which if it is built as well as it looks and performs as well as expected, then it will sell well.

i would need a wider version to consider it though.