Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Upgrade from Canon sx10-is

I love my sx=x 10-is, as long as there is a lot of light. I am looking for something that works better under low light conditions. I don't want to give up much of the zoom range that it has though. If I need to I would step up to a DSLR. I used to shoot an Olympus OM-1 so I wouldn't be totally lost there. Another thing I do not want to give up is a viewfinder. I have used viewfinders for too many years to be comfortable without one. Either EVF or OVF is fine. I'd like to keep initial purchases < $1,000, < $800 is even better. I am looking for something that focuses faster and better under low light and can shoot at 800 ISO with a very clean picture. I have my first grandchild due to be born in January and we are planning a trip to Yellowstone in September of next year. I would like to take better quality pictures of family, travel and nature than I can with the sx-10. I don't expect the need to go to any camera larger that a cropped sensor DSLR. I'd like to keep the gear as compact as possible. I would consider a two lens solution if I had to.
My priorities.
1. Better Auto-focus under low light
2. Bang for the buck
3. Easy to take while Hiking
4. Zoom range at least close to that of the SX-10
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:35 PM   #2

NO ideas? Would the Panasonic G1, The pentax k-r, or the Sony 550 or 500 be good choices? Or maybe a Canon dslr. I do have the Canon 270 flash that I use with the sx-10.If any of the above with which lenses? or is there a better super zoom I that am missing?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:52 PM   #3

i've seen the pentax k-x with a 2 lens kit - 18-55mm and 55-300mm - for under $700 at butterfly photo and a few other places. very nice in low light, faster focusing, and as dslr's go, it's small and light, so easy to carry. it was very close for me a few months ago, and i ended up with the panasonic gf1, but the k-x does better in low light.

Last edited by pcake; Sep 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:04 PM   #4

Tommy-

Certainly the Canon T-1i or a T-2i would be good possibilities, and allow you to use the Canon EX-270 external flash that you already own. Also either camera with a kit lens will come in under your budget. The you might want to add a longer zoom lens, and the Canon 55-250mm IS would be a logical addition.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:34 PM   #5

I agree the T1i or T2i would be a good choice with the 2 lens kit, and since you have a canon flash it will fit right one the canon dslr without a problem. The T1i would fit your budget with the 2 kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-200mm. For indoor low light you can add 50mm 1.8 prime for about 95 dollars, and that will great improve indoor low light shooting.

The canon's shoot very well at 1600iso, and I use 3200iso quite a bit. So if you higher iso performance the dslr is the route to go.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I may be able to pick up a display model of the Canon XSI with a Canon two lens kit at a local store. The price if I remember right was less than $700. Is that worth looking into?
Tom
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:32 AM   #7

Tommy-

It really depends on what two lenses come with the 450D/XSi camera, but generally speaking, that price is too high to be realistic.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote