Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Mid level DLSR kit vs. decent DSLR w/ higher end lense

I'm going to buy my first DSLR kit and was interested in the Canon T2i, Nikon D3100 or D5000. However, after reading reviews and during more research, I'm hearing that another option is to buy a decent body and great lens. So would you suggest going this route, or buying a kit and upgrading later. My primary use will be taking pictures of by boy's sporting events and trying to keep up with them.
mercury10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:06 PM   #2

Well, for sports, it takes both - good body AND the right lenses (note the plural here). Sports photography is NOT a point and shoot thing. What sports are you talking about? What level of play (i.e. age group) and for each sport where will you be shooting frome (floor/sidelines/dugout/behind fence/in stands)?

Once we know that we can advise you on what cameras/lenses are appropriate. Oh, and what's your budget? It's entirely possible your budget and your desire to shoot certain sports will not necessarily overlap.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:13 PM   #3

My kids are young (6-7 years old) and will be involved in soccer, baseball, football and basketball. My budget is about $1000, so the better lens may not be an option with that.
mercury10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:51 PM   #4

For basketball, or any indoor sport, you'll need a large aperture lens. Both Canon and Nikon have reasonably priced 85mm f/1.8 lenses that would do well, but Nikon's won't autofocus on the bodies you're looking at. You can move up to the D90 or the new D7000, but that will put a strain on your budget.

I'd put off buying the 85/1.8 lens for a while, but I'd get a body that could work with it when I did get it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:18 PM   #5

Do also consider the Pentax K-x and K-r with an fps of 4.7 & 6 respectively.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury10 View Post
My kids are young (6-7 years old) and will be involved in soccer, baseball, football and basketball. My budget is about $1000, so the better lens may not be an option with that.
Yes, your budget and your needs don't really intersect.

For basketball, you're looking at F2.8 ISO 3200 territory. F2.8 lenses are very, very expensive. You used to be able to get a sigma 70-200 2.8 for $800 - but they "upgraded" it and now it costs $1700. You'll have to give up shooting basketball for now. With consumer lenses, the Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras (and newer Sony's) will all perform about equal. But as you grow in your sports shooting (if you plan on growing) then Canon and Nikon offer much more room for growth - both in bodies and in sports-capable lenses. And as a sports shooter, I can assure you the lens makes a huge difference. None of the kit lenses from any manufacturer (or complementary telephoto lenses) will do great. But with only $1000 - you can't afford great. Only you know if you will want to move up the food chain later. If you're not sure, unless you have a compelling reason to buy Pentax, Sony or Oly then Canon or Nikon is the safest bet.

You could get the Canon T1i with kit lens plus Canon 55-250 for about $900. You won't be able to shoot basketball, but if you're right off the field (and not 10 yards back in stands) you can shoot the outdoor sports with that lens.

The mentioned Pentax cameras are very nice cameras. You just don't have the upward mobility to shoot sports that you do with Canon or Nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:59 PM   #7

I'm interested in getting the CanonT1i and kit lens and Canon 55-250. Where is the best place to look for them? I'm going to check Amazon and know to check who the seller is. Where else could I look?
I want to do the same as op. Do I need any filters or anything else?
Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by j320; Sep 22, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j320 View Post
I'm interested in getting the CanonT1i and kit lens and Canon 55-250. Where is the best place to look for them? I'm going to check Amazon and know to check who the seller is. Where else could I look?
There are several reputable camera dealers on the internet. Adorama and B&H Photo Video are two very popular ones, but there are plenty of others. You can visit ResellerRatings.com to find the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j320 View Post
Do I need any filters or anything else?
I suggest a spare battery, and some minor accessories for lens cleaning.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:16 AM   #9

I have just got from buydig a 50 1.8 and a 55-250 for my 550d cheapest place I found to buy together to save on shipping costs.
the 55-250 is a good lens at its price point and is great outdoors the only time I have used it in side has been with a flash. I will try and find a place where i can test it inside without flash but may have to wait till the weekend
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I have just got from buydig a 50 1.8 and a 55-250 for my 550d cheapest place I found to buy together to save on shipping costs.
the 55-250 is a good lens at its price point and is great outdoors the only time I have used it in side has been with a flash. I will try and find a place where i can test it inside without flash but may have to wait till the weekend
Some pics of both would be great to see.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote