Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:07 PM   #21

Yup the d3000, d5000 and d3100 do not have a af motor in the body, so the 50mm are pricey for them.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:01 PM   #22

Wow, personally Nikon D3000 and D3100 are off my list. D3000 doesn't have live view, and a new D3100 is just a little* out of my price range currently. I have never even thought of looking into Sony or even Pentax. I think it's the fact that Canon and Nikon dominate so much, the other brands don't even seem like competitors in my eyes.

The Canon Rebel XS, XSi, and XTi make me hesitate too, but I shouldn't think about how old they are.

I am REALLY REALLY considering buying the Canon Rebel T1i. Since I am very familiar with the Canon menu already, it will be easier to adjust. I just don't know if it is the right choice considering that their are just as good DSLRS out there at a lower price.
melixx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:10 PM   #23

if you have handle the the t1i and likes the setup. It is quite a good camera. And unlike the pentax and sony, you have a much larger lens line up that is within your budget as a student. The 50 1.4 form pentax is about 350 dollar, as it is a higher grade lens, they do not have a entry grade big aperture lens. The sony on the other hand do not give you allot of options for lenses longer the 200mm, and if you shoot on you school football field at times, you will need more reach. The canon 70-300 is about 500 dollars, the sony 70-300 is about 700 dollars. And the canon ef-s 55-250 is a very sharp lens with greater reach then the sony 50-200. And the ef-s is goes for about 250 dollars.

When I was in collage, one of the big reason that I went canon was the large amount of lens option that a collage kid can afford. They are not the best lenses in the world, but they did a great job for the price.

That is the main reason canon and nikon are the big two in dslr. They have the most lenses. But the nikon d5000 and d3100 just do not make full uses of the nikon lineup like the d7000 and d90.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 27, 2010 at 4:35 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:27 AM   #24

D3000 or A290? This is one question one of my mates is trying to decide on at the mo!! They are at the top end of his budget. I told him about the AF motor thing with Nikon but that doesn't faze him. Out of the 2 i like the Nikon myself. What do you think guys? He has tried Canon but not fussy about the handling of them!! (I like them myself).
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:35 AM   #25

they are both basic entry level camera, the sony has ibis while the nikon uses lens IS, so the sony has a slight edge in that department depending on who you ask. The sony and the nikon uses a ccd sensor. So they are pretty much tied. Between the 2 camera's if it was me, it would be a coin flip.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:42 AM   #26

The Sony has a 14mp sensor. Is that better?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:49 AM   #27

I do not think it really makes much of a difference. The pentax k-x and k-r has a 12mp sensor along with the canon 450D, and they produce excellent photos. So more MP really to not mean better photos, it could lead to a bit more pixel packing issues for a bit more details. So it is a trade off. So between 10-18mp you are in a good dslr pixel count.

The only thing that might sway me to the sony is it is a updated design.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:58 AM   #28

Ok, thanks again for your good advice mate.

I must admit, the Nikon would be my choice. I know it has an older CCD but by going on reviews it is one good capable DSLR.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
D3000 or A290? This is one question one of my mates is trying to decide on at the mo!! They are at the top end of his budget. I told him about the AF motor thing with Nikon but that doesn't faze him. Out of the 2 i like the Nikon myself. What do you think guys? He has tried Canon but not fussy about the handling of them!! (I like them myself).
There is a bit of a mismatch in the comparison. The D3000 would
compare with the previous A230 Sony model. They use the same
10MP Sony sensor, so all things being equal, they should have
similar image quality.

I would compare the A290 to current entry level DSLRs
like the Nikon D3100 or the Canon 1000D.

If he doesn't like the Canon, that leaves the Sony and
Nikon. Has he considered a Pentax? K-x prices have
dropped since the K-r was announced.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:21 AM   #30

K-x is too much for him apparently. The D3000 and A290 are top of his budget.