Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:00 PM   #1

Default What are some good entry level dslrs for a high school student?

I'm an 18 year old high school student with a passion for photography. I've been using my Canon AE-1 and Canon SX110 for the past few years. This year I'm taking an AP photography class and would like a DSLR (well to make it easier).

Since I'm only a teenager, I would defiantly need an entry level type for affordability.

I've been looking at Canon, Nikon and Pentax, but feel most comfortable with Canon.

Cameras I've tried in stores and researched:

Canon Rebel XS*
Canon Rebel XTI
Canon Rebel T1i *
Nikon D3000*
Nikon D40x
Nikon D5000*
Nikon D3100(little of out my budget)
Pentax K-x

p.s.*= highly considering. & any other suggestions would be great!
melixx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:08 PM   #2

on your list, the canon T1i and the pentax k-x are most likely the best cameras. Canon is the slightly better action shooting camera. The Pentax is the slightly better low light camera.

The d3100 looks to be a good contender, but it is new. And not to many feedbacks yet.

If growth is a concern the canon system gives you the most lens options in different price ranges among all the brands listed. Price concern, the pentax gives you the most camera for the money. But the price difference in the camera can be simply off set with the larger entry level lens option canon has, pentax and nikon do not have as many lower price entry level lenses as canon. I shoot both the T1i and T2i, and they do an excellent job.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:11 PM   #3

Both the Canon T1i and the Pentax K-x that shoturtle mentioned are available refurbished, which could save you some money, but Adorama.com sells refurbished Canon dSLRs with 1 year warranties. Other refurbished dSLRs only have 90 day warranties.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:25 PM   #4
Administrator

You may also want to look at the Sony A500. B&H has the kits including the 18-55mm lens for $539.99 right now, which is a pretty good price for that class of camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

The Sony A500 and A550 are at closeout prices at some vendors, since they're being replaced with newer models (A560, A580) that include HD video recording (the A500 and A550 have Live View but no video recording).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:27 PM   #5

I have looked at the Sony A500 and feel a little unsettle, mainly because I am unfamiliar with Sony. I have been looking closely at the Canon T1i and Nikon D5000 quiet a bit. If it came down to them though, I would not know what to choose. I have good experience with Canon, but the D5000 seems somewhat better for some reason.

Pentax is no long a contestant in my book because of the 4 AA batteries. I already hate my SX110 with the battery changing.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:29 PM   #6

actually the aa battery set up with the pentax will last longer then both the d5000 and t1i with the their lithium batteries. No flash, the canon gets about 650 photos, the pentax k-x about 1100.

That is with sanyo eneloop rechargeable.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:34 PM   #7

melixx,

What type of photography do you like to shoot?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

My suggestion is go and hold them, that could make a big difference. What lens options are you considering? One thing for me with the Nikon is the lack of focus motor, for your needs keeping things cheap you won't be able to use the 50mm f1.8 which is a great creative lens. Well you can use it, you just can't AF. Worth a thought.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:41 PM   #9

just to add to Mark's points on the 50mm 1.8, the inexpensive 50mm is 105 dollar, the one that will AF on the d5000 is 450 dollars. Also, manual focus on a modern dslr is really difficult. There is no split prism to aid is manual focus.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
melixx,

What type of photography do you like to shoot?

I am very experimental (learning many things in photo class @ school). I like macro shooting a lot, portraits, pets, nature/landscape, and animals. Also not to mention, indoor shooting too.

I have been looking through Adorama and B&H for the best deal too. I'm still stuck on what to purchase though.