Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Sony HX5 or WX5

Hello everybody...
I'm interested in buying new digital camera, compact...I have Canon A560, it's ok but I want something better especially in low light and with hd video.Soon I'll be dad and I want to take great pictures of my kid, and quality video.
Price range is about 300$, more-less.My favorites are Sony HX5 and WX1(is it true that WX5 IQ is better?)...but I'm open to suggestions...
Thanx guys!
Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:20 PM   #2

Duff-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Sony HX-5 does fine in well lighted scenes. However, as the ISO setting is increased, the images loose their color saturation and appear "bleached out." In addition, the sound quality of the HD video is very marginal. I returned my HX5 for a refund.

The WX-1 was Sony's first small camera to use the new BSI-CMOS imager. I went through the same script with the WX-1. I returned the camera as I believed the image quality to be rather marginal.

The WX-5 has not yet gotten into circulation. We will have to wait for both user and professional reviews. I purchased the Canon SX-130 recently as a replacement for the HX5. I has proven to be a good choice with very good image quality and HD videos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:45 PM   #3

Thanx Sarah...
My first choice was Sony NEX 3, but it's to expensive for me...it cost 600$.
My limit is about 350$...I red some of your posts and some reviews of Canon sx130, and I'm satisfied with opinions...I see you always recommend that camera. I just wanted to ask is there maybe a better solution for 100$ more, considering that sx130 cost 250$?In another words, what's the next best thing?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:00 PM   #4

Duff-

The Canon SX-130 gives you a lot of what you want in spades for $249.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:47 PM   #5

If you want the HX5V, I'll gladly sell you mine.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:32 PM   #6

Well, to many people said some bad things about HX5, and now I'm thinking about some other cameras.What do you think about Panasonic FZ35 or FZ40?From your posts it looks like great camera, excellent IQ and HD video.I wonder if IQ is good on auto, or you have to use manual mode to get good pictures?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

to get the best out of any camera you'll want to learn to use more than auto. it's very easy to learn to use aperture priority, but manual is easy to use in most cameras. i learned to use shutter speed and white balance originally because no camera i used was giving great results, mostly because auto always set too low a shutter speed, and i have shaky hands.

btw, the best results i've read in auto are from the olympus e-pl1, which is above your price range, but maybe you could find one used.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:13 PM   #8

duff-

The Panasonic FZ-35 or FZ-40 are excellent choices. And yes they both produce excellent image quality in IA (Intelligent Automatic) as well as P which stands for Programed Auto.

The Fz-35 has 18X Optical Zoom while the FZ-40 has 24X Optical zoom. Both do HD video with dual channel sound. The Panasonic P+S Folder is one of our most active folders in the whole Forum. I have also written a Beginner's Guide for the FZ-35 as well. In that Panasonic P+S folder you will find a real spirit of camaraderie, lots of photo samples, and a huge spirit of helping each other.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9

Thanx Sarah.I'm reading about Z35, looking image samples on the forum, and I like what I see...
I just wanted to ask you which one would you rather recommend and why, Canon sx130 or Panasonic Z35?
Is Z35 worth spending more money?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:17 PM   #10

Duff-

Yes, the FZ-35 is well worth the added cost!

Sarah Joyce