Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:37 PM   #1

Default SX-130 versus Lumix DMC-ZS7?

Hi,

I was planning on buying the Canon SX-130 but after reading some preliminary reviews of reports of slow shot to shot performance (6-10 seconds using the flash), slower than average lens movement & variable battery performance I am rethinking my decision.

All the reviews for the Lumix DMC-ZS7 report very good performance but some report below average low light performance.

I plan to take pictures of the kiddies running around so I am now leaning toward the Lumix DMC-ZS7.

Any thoughts?
Insights?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:02 PM   #2

Juggernaut-

Please be forewarned that the ZS7 has poor indoor image quality, due to its very small and weak built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:56 PM   #3

Quote:
I plan to take pictures of the kiddies running around
If you want to freeze those actions with a P&S camera, think again, a high end bridge camera like FZ 38, 40, 100 would be more effective for freezing those actions with higher shutter speeds.

Among them i would go with panny even it is more expensive than sx 130.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Juggernaut-

Please be forewarned that the ZS7 has poor indoor image quality, due to its very small and weak built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
The flash on the ZS7 is indeed weak and has a short range but it offers very even coverage and accurate colors if the proper WB mode is used. You make this comment in regards to the flash all the time yet the same weak flash is present on virtually all P&S pocket cams these days. That said, it does perform poorly indoors without the flash, but again, all cameras of this sensor type and size will perform poorly. If you are going to share these types of comments with people, don't send them running off to another camera that they will be equally unhappy with.

If you really want something with a faster shutter speed and some semblance of low light performance, check out a G11/G12, Nikon P7000, etc. No camera is perfect but they might come closer to satisfying your needs. If pocketability is more of a concern, then consider, the Samsung EX1, Canon S90/S95 or Panasonic LX3/LX5 for low light. However, none of them are going to cope well with fast moving subjects.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Five-O-

The built-in flash out put of the Canon SX-130 is almost 100% greater.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:43 AM   #6

Really want to see side by side pictures comparison between sx130 vs zs7(zs3)..
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O-

The built-in flash out put of the Canon SX-130 is almost 100% greater.

Sarah Joyce
No kidding - look at the size difference. My point is that you constantly post as if the flash output on the ZS7 is considerably worse than other cameras within its class, therefore leading many to believe that most other cameras within the class have a better flash. In fact, the flashes are weak on all or nearly all of the cameras in that class.

I already stated this, albeit more succinctly, in my previous post but there it is again in clear terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
If you want to freeze those actions with a P&S camera, think again, a high end bridge camera like FZ 38, 40, 100 would be more effective for freezing those actions with higher shutter speeds.

Among them i would go with panny even it is more expensive than sx 130.
+1