Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:51 AM   #1

Default Which old camera ?

Well Im looking for a compact camera to carry all day and leave my DSLR at home, something does it has to have is 1. Shot Raw, 2. Hot Shoe 3. Manual mode. 4. fit my budget 150 USD max(lower the better).

I was tempted for the sony DSC-V3 , but someone said that it was slow at saving raw files.

Then I look for the Canon G5 but i find that suffers alot purple fringe.

Now I find the Canon G3 (on the cheap side) will serve my purpose, I will be printing at max 8x10 and also the canon G6 I think is a nice camera, but is there any real difference in mater of speed between the G3 vs G6 ?
Or any other model sugestion ?

Thanks.
cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:53 PM   #2

The V3 is an excellent camera. Not only it has the features you are looking for but it also has IR and nightshot capability and a sophisticated honeycomb AF system. Yes, recording the RAW file is a bit slow but I can almost guarantee you that most old models will be alike when it comes to raw. I'd go with the V3. I had one and loved it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:58 PM   #3

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I am currently on my third DSC-V1. (I wore out the first two. Well, actually I dropped and broke them. Urg.) I truly love the V1 and it's in my pocket much of the time when I'm awake and not wet. Part of what drove me to a Pentax dSLR a couple years ago was asking myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with the V1?" The answers were ultrawide and ultralong, and noiseless low light, and real macro. These drove me to the K20D, DA10-17, DA18-250, FA50/1.4, and MacroTakumar 50/1.4 (among other stuff).

But before I got that far, I considered more capable P&S's. I'd have loved a NightShot cam with 10mpx or so, RAW, B&W, and fairly fast cycle times. I remember looking at the V3 and thinking that it just wasn't an order of magnitude better than the V1. With the 5mpx V1 there's a hotshoe, NightShot IR (which I use A LOT!!), 4x Zeiss zoom, manual controls, sepia but not B&W. What the V3 offers beyond the 7.2mpx V1 is a couple more megapickles, B&W, RAW, better video, a bigger LCD screen, and 100g more mass.

On a different track, I got a 7+mpx Olympus 770 SW for getting wet (down to 10m / 33 feet). I'm probably still in the market for an advanced P&S for dry land use. But AFAIK NightShot is now extinct, and I really haven't put much effort into researching newer offerings. I have no problems with used cams in good shape -- I've bought three such. Is there anything around that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the V1 in terms of noise and cycle time, that isn't huge nor hugely expensive? I baby it, but I know this V1 won't last forever.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the input.. Tullio and did you notice any speed difference using memory stick vs compact flash ?

RioRico.. Well the V1 is out of question because i need RAW.. but i appreciate your comment.

Thanks.
cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:31 PM   #5

Personally I like memory stick. I have a Sony R1 and H1 and they both use MS. The R1 also takes compact flash but I prefer MS. The upload from MS to my PC is also a lot faster (using the same multi-card reader).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote