Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:28 PM   #11

And what about the new Canon SD4500? How would you compare it to the others in my query?
hepf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:53 PM   #12

The Canon SD-4500 is a viable choice with 10X optical zoom (36 to360mm), therefore it does not offer a wide angle opportunity within its zoom range, and it sells for around $350.00

The slightly larger Canon SX-130 has 12X optical zoom (28mm to 336mm), full auto and manual controls, a more powerful built-in flash for improved indoor photos, and it features HD video with refocusing and zoom while filming for $100 less. The Sx-130 can also operate in lower light photo environments by increasing the ISO. It can handle ISO 800 easily and ISO 1600 in a pinch. The SX-130 is priced at $249.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:40 AM   #13

I've made up my mind and ordered the FX700, once I have it with me I will test drive it and let you know my thoughts!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:23 PM   #14

Congratulations, hepf-

Enjoy your new camera, we will be looking for some posted photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:42 PM   #15

Hi you all,

Let me share some comments on my new FX700 camera after some time testing it.

The camera doesn´t surprise in terms of picture quality, it's pretty average and works fine if you don't crop the image. What the camera doe's fine is with the intelligent Auto mode, it really picks the right shooting mode for the best picture possible. The only thing I did is to change the color effect from standard to happy to improve the color saturation. There are times where the iA actually doesn't work and you have to go over either with scene or program mode, make sure you properly setup these modes in order to improve the picture quality, what I did was:

- Limit the ISO to 200, as the picture quality really decreases with 400 or beyond
- Select intelligent Exposure to standard
- Select intelligent Resolution, it really gets better picture quality (this is not available on iA, so make sure to switch if you want crispier picture)
- Changed the color effect from standard to warm to improve color saturation

There is a firmware update from 1.0 to 1.1 (improving Motion Deblur in iA and autofocus on video capture) that I really recommend to upload on your camera, follow this link for the update:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FX70_75_700/index.html

There are some really interesting shooting tips (some are just plain basics) on Panasonic's webpage that can help you improving the picture quality. See the attached link and select the FX700 model.

Excellent shooting tips specifically for the FX700 camera:
http://avc-cs.panasonic.co.jp/faq/1033/app/servlet/prodsel?MAIN=001004&PROD=001

One that was particularly helpful was to take portrait pictures on the telephoto end of the lens to avoid barrel distortion. This was a very annoying problem that I fixed just zooming in when taking portrait pictures.

Video recording is one of the strong pints for this camera, video and audio quality is superior to any flip or similar compact camcorders.

The touch screen menu is quite intuitive and takes only little time to get familiar with it. One really nice feature is the manual focusing by touching the subject on the screen, the focus is followed as the subject moves on the screen and you can change from portrait to landscape mode just by touching the subject on the background.

It's not the best picture quality camera I have had, but for a P&S camera and to take pictures to see on screen (without cropping) or on the TV is more than enough.

Hope my comments are of some help, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question.

Regards.
Erwin