Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:20 PM   #1

Default Lumix DMC-FX75 vs Lumix DMC-FX700 vs Canon SD400 IS?

Hi, I have been a Canon fan for years, my last camera was a SD880 IS (just broke in an accident) with which I was somewhat disappointed with the picture quality (not as crisp as with my previous Cannon point and shoot cameras -all the way to the SD200 which was great-), the low light performance and the slow shutter speed specially with the usage of flash.

I'm between the FX75, the FX700 or the SD4000, and would like your experience and input to take the wisest decision. I'm interested on:

- A fast bright lens (f/2.0 with Canon and f/2.2 with Lumix) to improve low light picture quality
- Wide angle capability (24 mm on Lumix and 28 mm with Canon)
- At least 720p HD video capability and decent sound (comparable to a Flip camera)
- Optical zoom available during video capturing
- Good flash recycle time and lower shutter lag
- Good crisp and sharp picture quality (hate image noise)
- A good intelligent auto mode (Smart Auto on Canon or iA with Lumix) that actually makes it a worry free camera for everybody in the family, capable of taking good pictures without having to choose parameters or scenes.
- A good optical image stabilizer

I would consider any other camera that includes the a.m. characteristics, please let me know your thoughts and experience.

Last edited by hepf; Sep 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM.
hepf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:56 PM   #2

hepf-

I think you are referring to the Canon SD-4000, not the very old SD-400. A good deal of the choice in this case depends on if you are an automatic mode shooter. If you are the SD-4000 is the choice.

If you can handle manual settings, the the S-90 and S-95 should be considered.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:28 AM   #3

Default yes, it's SD 4000 IS, not SD400

hi mtclimber,

Thanks for your correction! Indeed I was referring to the new Canon SD4000 (I missed one Cero).

I do have my SLR camera, but I want this to be the pocketable family camera, and both my wife and kids are only auto mode shooters.

The SD4000 looks pretty good, but the picture quality that I have been able to evaluate really disappoint me compared with the previous Canon quality, and some key features on the Lumix (i.e. higher zoom) give a negative point.

From the 2 Lumix or the Cannon SD4000, which one do you think is the best? Which others in the market would be comparable?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:55 AM   #4

hepf-

Ideally the Canon S-90 and S-95 would fill the bill nicely. However, as enthusiast cameras, they do not produce their best image quality in the fully automatic mode. That is why in the Canon line, the SD-4000 may indeed be the better camera.

Outside of the Canon line, there is the Samsung EX-1 and TL-350 that might fill the bill, as well as the Panasonic FX-75, the FX-700 has many fewer photo samples, as it has just come to market at the end of August. On paper the FX-700 is very impressive and has a wonderful feature set. I would suggest you read Steve's review of the FX-75 and the FX-700 before deciding. Either would serve you well and are my primary choices.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks again for your comments!

The EX-1 is way too complicated for my family, but the TL-350 looks pretty good. Unfortunately there are very few reviews and all of them with pre-production models (I even looked out the WB2000 alternative name). There are no sample picture to actually see the quality the camera can give. In paper it looks fine, despite even Samsun's page is contradictory:

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EC-TL350ZBPBUS

They contradict in the specs with a 1/1.7" CCD sensor with the CMOS sensor they explain in the features. They contradict with the stereo microphone for video capturing on the features section vs the mono microphone in the specs section.

The camera doesn't seem to be a solid construction as the Lumix or Canon.

I would really appreciate some real experience with either of these cameras (Lumix FX75 or FX700, the Canon SD4000 or the Samsung TL-350) and the picture quality they deliver.

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6

panasonic dmc-fx75 Vs canon sd400 Vs panasonic dmc-zs3 Vs panasonic dmc-fx700

I Highly recommend the Panasonic DMC-ZS3

Edit: link with 4000 model
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Sep 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:30 PM   #7

Nice comparison tool, appreciate it!
But I really want some personal experience with these cameras.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepf View Post
The SD4000 looks pretty good, but the picture quality that I have been able to evaluate really disappoint me compared with the previous Canon quality
I agree with you. While there are certainly worse P&S cameras on the market, there are also others that are far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
hepf-

Ideally the Canon S-90 and S-95 would fill the bill nicely. However, as enthusiast cameras, they do not produce their best image quality in the fully automatic mode.
True but Program Auto works quite well and doesn't require much learning time. However, the S90 does not have HD video and the S95 does not allow optical zooming while recording video, which were 2 of the OP's requirements.

Quote:
The EX-1 is way too complicated for my family
Well that would leave out the S95 and LX5 also I suppose. These 3 are going to be your best bet in terms of current model low light cameras.

Quote:
but the TL-350 looks pretty good. Unfortunately there are very few reviews and all of them with pre-production models (I even looked out the WB2000 alternative name). There are no sample picture to actually see the quality the camera can give. In paper it looks fine, despite even Samsun's page is contradictory:

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EC-TL350ZBPBUS

They contradict in the specs with a 1/1.7" CCD sensor with the CMOS sensor they explain in the features. They contradict with the stereo microphone for video capturing on the features section vs the mono microphone in the specs section.

The camera doesn't seem to be a solid construction as the Lumix or Canon.
The TL350/WB2000 uses a CMOS sensor. IQ is in line with the others P&S CMOS cameras - meaning images are a bit soft. The IQ is pretty good though imho though as you may have guessed by the specs, low light performance isn't great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of Samsung's current cameras in terms of build quality. They are all made very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch View Post
I Highly recommend the Panasonic DMC-ZS3
ZS3 is a great camera but it does poorly in low light situations which is one of the requirements the OP listed.

Quote:
Nice comparison tool, appreciate it!
But I really want some personal experience with these cameras.
If you truly want good low light ability, you'll need to consider one of the more advanced cameras w/ the larger sensors. The Panasonic LX5 is the only camera I can think of that meets all of your requirements except perhaps for ease of sue for the entire family. If you can give up some low light performance, then you have many other options such as the ones you listed in your initial post.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:14 PM   #9

FiveO, thanks for your thorough analysis on this thread's information. Your comments are appreciated and I will take them into account when taking the decision!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

Hi again,

I really appreciate all your comments regarding the selection of my new camera.

I agree that the Panasonic LX5 or the Cannon S-95 are one of the best P&S cameras for low light, but they are not exactly what I'm looking for because:

a) they are small but not as compact and pocketable as I would like

b) their zoom is pretty poor on the 2.5x - 3.8x, I don't want a super zoom but at least 5x would be good to have

c) their cost is higher than the camera I was looking for

I don't want to sound pushy, but I really want to purchase the best (among the poor performing ultra compact P&S market) camera possible. My selection now stretches to the Lumix FX75 or FX700, the Canon SD4000 or the Samsung TL-350/WB2000. Because most of them have been recently introduced to the market there is not much information to evaluate their quality. On paper they all look good, but there seems to be quite some issues with the picture quality.

I don't want to have the best camera, I just want to have a decent ultra compact that in comparison to my previous Cannon SD880 either maintains the picture quality or even improves it a little, what I don't want is to take a step back in quality.

Thanks again for your comments, they are all appreciated.