Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:44 PM   #1

Default Love to upgrade from ZS3 and still have 25 MM lens.

I love this camera for its phenomenal outdoor photos, and making videos in and out, but I am now looking for a better Digital P&S indoor camera, while still being able to go out doors and shoot surfing footage, landscapes, etc...

I have $350 budget.

I was looking at Sony DSC-HX1.

I love the 20x zoom, and HD video features.

The 28 MM lens however has me thinking or actually wondering if I can do better?

Would you all recommend this camera?
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:50 PM   #2

actually you will not find a good low light point and shoot that will give you any long reach like your zs3.

You will want to look for a point and shoot with a 1/1.63 sensor for better low light. But they all have short zoom ranges in the 3-4x range. You may want to look at the canon s90 if hd is not a concern or the s95 if you want hd. You are better off keeping the zs3 for outdoor shooting and get a low light point and shoot for the indoor work.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3
Super Moderator

are you keeping the zs3 for a small pocket camera, and just want to add a bigger superzoom camera?

since you are enjoying the Panasonic image quality, why not get one of the bridge superzoom Panasonic cameras.

the Panasonic FZ40 would be a good choice. has a big 24x zoom that starts at 25mm like you enjoy too!! i think it may be what you are looking for. and is on sale for 350$ now on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...5627787&sr=8-1
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

oh, i missed the indoor part.

for the indoor part at that budget the Canon S90 as shoturtle mentioned would fit the bill and keeping the zs3 for more zoom moments, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:59 PM   #5

Definitely keeping the ZS3, I love it. My wife wants one for herself.

She is not stoked with the way the ZS3 feels in her hands, she would like to be able to hold her camera with one hand.

She fell in love with the look of the Nikon CoolPix L110, I was not impressed with the reviews. So I have to give up zoom for better indoor quality?

One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:01 PM   #6

yes you will have to give up zoom for better low light, as all the megazooms on the market uses the same size sensor as the zs3 1/2.23 not great for low light
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

for lower light semi-compact camera that you can hold with a bigger grip you would have to go with something like the Canon G12, but you will lose the big zoom, and its about 100$ over your budget.

that Nikon is not one of the better superzooms either.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:49 PM   #8

She has got to have the Zoom, she will be the one on the beach taking Surfing photos we love to go camping hiking and other outdoor excursions. She wants a camera that won't limit her ability to utilize a high zoom function.

This begs the question which P&S with at least 20X zoom capability offers the best indoor options?

I found this info on a site comparing the two aforementioned cameras.

Panasonic Lumix
DMC-FZ40
vs
Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-HX1

Sony had the higher score, but then again what does that score really mean, considering how relative the choices are eh?

I will pose the pros to having each and maybe you guys can help me sort through the options...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni...r-shot_DSC-HX1

Reasons to consider the Panasonic DMC-FZ40

More zoom 24x vs 20x

More than 40% more zoom Better wide-angle 25 mm vs 28 mm

More than 10% better wide-angle

Shoots RAW Yes vs No

Digitally develop your own photos with precise image control

Much higher resolution 9.8 MP vs 8.1 MP
Around 20% higher resolution Significantly larger sensor 1/2.5" 6x4mm vs 1/3.6" 5x4mm

Around 20% larger sensor Has boost ISO 6,400 ISO vs None
Allows taking photos in darker situations, often at the cost of additional noise in the image

Lighter 499 g vs 544 g Around 10% lighter

Significantly longer exposures 60s vs 30s
2x longer exposures

Reasons to consider the Sony DSC-HX1

Higher resolution movies 1440 x 1080 @ 30fps vs 720p @ 30fps

Shoots higher resolution standard resolution video Has a CMOS-family sensor CMOS vs CCD
CMOS-family sensors often produce better quality imagesHas a flip-out screenYesvsNo

Flip-out screens can be helpful when composing tricky shots or taking movies

Shoots significantly faster 10 fps vs 1.8 fps
More than 5.5x faster continuous shooting

Better maximum light sensitivity 3,200 ISO vs 1,600 ISO

The DSC-HX1's maximum light sensitivity is 1 f-stop better

Faster max shutter speed 1/4000s vs 1/2000s

2x faster max shutter speed

Last edited by Jagsbch; Sep 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:52 PM   #9

The fz40 looks to be really good, the hx1 is a bit older design
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:54 PM   #10

but indoor out of flash range you will not have any better results then your zs3 with either camera.