Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:49 PM   #1

Default Canon 500/550D vs Nikon D3100

Hi there...

well... after pondering over a lot.. i decided to wait a little to get the DSLR. I finally had decided to go for Canon T1i.

Yesterday, i went to check the both the above Camera's and was told that Nikon D3100 is better than Canon 550D... exception 18MP of Canon.

I liked the Nikon D3100 camera.... and the grip was good. Nikon camera felt better in my hands than Canon.

My needs were family photos, indoor, my daughter and later on buy some lens for Macro .. Insects and Flowers..... Wide angle... and Zoom...

The price for Canon 550D = HKD.7000 appx i.e. USD.900/-appx where as
The Price for Nikon D3100 = HKD.5200 appx i.e. USD.670/- appx..

the difference is huge, around USD.230/-.....

Can you people guide me for Nikon D3100 or Canon 500/550D??

Thanks in advance....

Saif
Saif S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:02 PM   #2

The d3100 is a good camera, but it is not better, but rather it is comparable to the 500/550D. But the problem with the d5000 is the same with the d3100, it still can not use all the nikon lenses with AF. The AF is from the d5000 so the canon is still the better action AF system. It will shoot at 12800iso so it equals both canon's.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: edit about iso limit
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:07 PM   #3

correction, it is 12800iso so it is the same.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:48 PM   #4

Personally, I too like the feel and the feature set of the Nikon D-3100 that just came out. It was not available when I purchased my Canon 500D/T-1i. Had it been available, I would have chosen the D-3100 without hesitation.

Let's look at the lens selection issue more closely: there are now almost 51 lenses available for the Nikon D-XXXX series cameras. That is enough for me.

I think the Nikon D-3100 is a huge step ahead for Nikon, as it ups the bar on features that we consumers can expect on an entry level DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:52 PM   #5

There are 135 lens with 3rd party brands, but if you want a fast prime, you have only 1 that is sub 400 dollars, the AF-s 35mm 1.8. So we should find out more about what the OP likes to shoot before saying that there is automatically a suitable one within their budget.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:55 AM   #6

Hi...

I don't mind using third party lens like Sigma or Tamron.... not too expensive though... mostly i will start with shooting family, my daughter, indoor parties etc.... and later on for more pro like shooting nature.. i.e. insects flowers... also.. i would like an all in one Lens .. like the sigma 18-200, ....

i don't need 100% best quality.. but should be better than P&S i use. I have panasonic FX35 now.

As this will be my first DSLR, i will have a long way to go to learn how to use it... the last thing i dont want is that i buy a camera and it become obsolete in a short time..

so.... what do u say....

thanks

Saif
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:46 AM   #7

I liked the Nikon D3100 camera.... and the grip was good. Nikon camera felt better in my hands than Canon.

This quote says it al.l Any of the cameras will take good pictures, as long as you know what lenses are compatible you cannot go wrong.
As for obsolete with tech today it could be but your camera will last you many years taking good pictures it doesnt have to have all the latest features to do this
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:54 AM   #8

any of the 3 camera you mention will work for what you are shooting, and the 550D will not be obsolete anytime soon, it is less then a year old. It came out in March of this year. Since action shooting is not big on your list, the canon's fast auto focus system is a moot point.

If you do not want to spend to much on lenses down the road for lenses. The canon option is the better one, as third party lenses are exactly the same price for canon and nikon. Sigma prime lenses are actually even more expensive then both the nikon and canon options.

With the sigma 18-200mm OS they make them for both the nikon and canon. But it is not the best lens, you would be better off getting a 2 lens option. It will give you better results. And at 6.3 on the long end of the zoom, it is quite dark, so it is not suited for any low light shooting.

Have you also handle the canon at the store?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9

Saif-

I agree with Wave. The D-3100 felt great in hand to you, it is more within your budget range, and the lens selection is more than adequate for your proposed uses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:21 PM   #10

Hi..

can you suggest some best and cheap lenses for both Canon 550D & Nikon D3100 ... i can compare the cost of those lenses... third party lens is also no probs...

what lenses would i want....
1. AIO (All in One) shooting.... so most of the time i dont have to carry all the lenses..
2. Macro for Flowers and Insects
3. Wide Angle
4. Zoom Lens for Zoo photography....

ofcourse most of the above lens i will go after i get used to DSLR ... but i would want to atleast buy 2 of the above lenses within a years time..

I think the package lens i.e. 18-55mm should be fine for indoor shooting .... for the both cameras.

For Canon D550, i was planning to buy the 50mmf1.8 lens which this site recommended for below USD.100/- .. however i dont know what similar lens is for Nikon D3100 can be used.... this lens as i like the DOF effect.. the Bokeh..

It really is such a hassle to decide... but then nothing comes easy...

regards

Saif