Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:55 PM   #21

Since it's new, and you probably don't have a lot of custom settings stored yet, I suggest you do a factory reset and try it again.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:32 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Also if the meter is always off by 1EV (for your taste) then just dial in some EC and you're done.

You're checking your exposure on the histogram anyway right? With digital your first few shots are always to check exposure - aren't they?

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the camera.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post
First off, is there something wrong with my brand new Kx?

Okay, in AV mode, using just the viewfinder (and not LV), I'll set (for example) the F to 5.6, and if shutter speed automatically adjusts to say 1/30..........when I switch over to LV, the shutter speed will change to 1/15 and give a brighter (and usuallybetter) picture.

Why is the Shutter speed changing when I switch from viewfinder to LV in AV mode?
Is this normal?

I just ran a quick check and I'm sorry to say that my Kx behaved as it should. No changes in A/S combination between VF and LV, no matter where I point the camera to or what lighting condition it is. Now, what focus mode is your KX set to? You have to make sure it's set to AF-S center. That way, you know for a fact you have the focus point at the same exact place between the FV and the LV shots. If you move the camera slightly when you select LV (or vice-versa) and the camera focus is set to say 11-point Auto, the camera may very easily pick a different area to focus on and that could consequently change the exposure values. The other thing to look for is whether you have the camera set to AE lock with AF. That will also make a difference in the A/S combination as you point the camera to two slightly different spots.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I just ran a quick check and I'm sorry to say that my Kx behaved as it should. No changes in A/S combination between VF and LV, no matter where I point the camera to or what lighting condition it is.
Finally, Thank you!
That's what I needed to find out.

And yes, I tried different focus mode settings and that did not help.
I even tried reseting the camera to it's defaul settings.

I just went outside and took these two shots.......
(again, same settings - first is viewfinder - second is LV)

It looks like this camera is going back

Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:13 PM   #25

Have you contacted Pentax yet?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Have you contacted Pentax yet?
No, but I contacted Amazon.
They are sending me a new Kx overnight (now that's what I call good customer service)

The fact that member Tullio ran a check and found that his Kx exhibited no change in A/S combination between VF and LV, no matter where he point the camera to or under what lighting condition, and that common sense tells me there should be no change in the picture no matter if I'm viewing in LM or through the Viewfinder, leads me to believe the camera is defective.

I'll know tomorrow for sure when the new Kx arrives.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:38 PM   #27

Amazon is great like that. That's why they are always my preferred site.

I still think that your problem is related inconsistent focus mode. I looked at the exif data and on the 1st wheel barrel shot, the FocusMode is AF-C while the second is Unknown(33). The focus per se is not the issue but, if the camera is set to lock the exposure with the focus, then as the focus point changes, the light metered by the camera changes as well, thus the shutter speed difference.

Tullio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Amazon is great like that. That's why they are always my preferred site.

I still think that your problem is related inconsistent focus mode. I looked at the exif data and on the 1st wheel barrel shot, the FocusMode is AF-C while the second is Unknown(33). The focus per se is not the issue but, if the camera is set to lock the exposure with the focus, then as the focus point changes, the light metered by the camera changes as well, thus the shutter speed difference.
Okay here are another two shots (first is LV & second is Viewfinder)
This time with the AF mode set to AF-S

Any other suggestions I can try?
What exactly I should set on the camera?

Thanks again!
Dominick

Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:42 AM   #29

Besides setting the AF mode to AF-S (in fact, this is the default when shooting in LV mode), you need to make sure that, 1) the AF focus point is set to spot; 2) In the C custom setting 1 menu, set to 2 (ON for exposure is locked when focus is locked). By default, exposure is not locked when focus is locked; 3) once you switch to LV, press the OK button and make sure the AF point is set to the center.

I don't think I can make any other suggestions. I'm curious as to how the new camera performs.

Tullio