Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1

Default Light Small DSLR Replacment for hiking

On short hikes i bring my Canon 400D in the backpack and its not overly heavy for a 4-5 hour hike.

I have had, and have some hikes comming up that span a day or more, meaning i have a 15kg backpack, and a DSLR would damage too easily and add too much weight.

Im looking for a good DSLR replacment that i can bring hiking thats light, has a standard viewfinder ( hate a camera with no normal view finder), potentially supports RAW, and is able to take a knock and is splass proof.

I know im asking for too much from a camera, but is there something that embodies some of my requirements?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:32 PM   #2

not really if you want a view finder, all the shock proof and splash proof camera do not have a view finder.

the closest thing would be a canon g11 or g12, and the nikon p7000, they all have viewfinders but the only give about a 75% view of what the camera lens actually see's. Also they are kinda pricey, about 500 dollars.

The other option if you do not really need low light shooting ability, again not splash and shock proof, would be a mega zoom camera like a panasonic fz 35, 40, 100 or the canon SX30 or 20. They will have electronic viewfinders, the FZ35 and SX20 are a bit less expensive as they are a little bit older model. But the new models will be about 400 dollars.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i think the suggestion of the g11/g12 and p7000 is a good one for this purpose. they are relatively small and light compared to a dslr, have great manual controls, shoot raw. if you really needed to make it splash proof thy make cases for them too.

there are quite a few accomplished photographers that supplement their dslrs with similar kits for the purpose you are speaking to.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:54 PM   #4

Such little progress. I remember about 7 years ago looking for the same type of camera, and nothing was available, and now, 7 years on nothing has changed.

Im sure its not due to lack of technology, but lack of electronic companies to release such a camera.

The G series is nice, but not that much smaller than my 400D to warrant me spending 400+ euros more. i wanted a truly pocketable camera.

Thanks for the advice guys.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:45 PM   #5

the vf or evf option is the big issue. Not to many options out there with it now adays.

The only other way to get a pocket came is to look at the panasonic lx5 and go with the optional evf, but that will really go over your budget. And it has a short zoom of 3.5x