Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Help?!

So I have someone who is interested in taking up photography, mostly nature, scenes, thunderstorms, etc. and I'm trying to figure out what type of camera to purchase. I've been looking at the Nikon D3000 and at the Pentax K-x, but I just don't know. Any guidance? Thanks.

Last edited by hmsch42; Sep 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM.
hmsch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:57 PM   #2

do you mean the d3000, the d300 is nikon's tope end aps-c dslr, it would compete against the canon 7D and the pentax k-5 and k-7, they are 1700 dollar cameras, while the k-x is a 520 dollar camera. So they are different classes of camera.

The K-x is a excellent entry level camera. And if you were comparing it to the d3000, the k-x is the way better camera. For you want to shoot, either camera will work. The k-x will just out performs the d3000 in low light. The K-x is an excellent all around camera to start out with.

Now if you are looking at the d300, then that is one of the best action camera on the market. Great for shooting sports. But image quality between the k-x and d300 is about the same as they both use the same sony sensor. But the d300 can shoot at 7fps, and has an excellent AF system for action shooting. Also it is larger camera, and have more features. So it has a much higher price tag.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:00 PM   #3

Sorry. I realized I'd typed that wrong and edited it. I meant the d3000.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:02 PM   #4

Also is it worth it to get the kits that come with the extra lens?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:02 PM   #5

Between the d3000 and the k-x i would go with the k-x without second thought. I shoot my brothers on occasion, and I am quite impress with it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:11 PM   #6

Between those two, I agree with shoturtle that the K-x would be a better choice. But without more information about what else the user will be doing or how much he or she wants to spend, I wouldn't be able to suggest any alternatives.

And, based on the information you've provided, I'd say that, no, the second lens in a two lens kit would go to waste. In fact, it's possible that the first lens would go to waste as well.

So, can you provide a little more info?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:18 PM   #7

Price wise not over $700. They are wanting to take it up as a hobby, taking mostly pictures of animals (still and moving), nature scenes, night thunderstorms, things like that. And then just family pictures . I'd been told that for night pictures it would need a cable release, is that right? Sorry I know absolutely nothing about this stuff.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:18 PM   #8

That's quite a camera for someone starting out. I think it depends on whether they have the ambition to learn and a way to learn it. It's certainly a very good camera.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:20 PM   #9

with the pentax 2 lens kit, it is a good telephoto lens actually. Very sharp and focus pretty fast. And as a kit it is allot less then getting the upgraded non kit version for 350 dollar. So if you can afford the 2 lens kit, I would go for it if you think you need to reach out to get some photos. A good way to check is look at the exif data of point and shoot photos. If you notice they are at the long end of the zoom, the the longer zoom may be a good idea.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:22 PM   #10

Okay for wildlife, you will need the 55-300mm with the pentax, the nikon 2 kit lens will be to short to shoot wildlife at 200mm.

For night photos, a tripod and a cable release is a very good idea and a must if you are shooting long exposures.