Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1

Default Canon Powershot S95 or ???????

Hello Everyone;
I have been searching and reading reviews. We leave for Orlando in a few days and I need to get a camera ordered now.

I have been looking at the reviews for the Canon Powershot S95 and I like it, but I asked my son how important Zoom would be for video and he replied, "How fast can you run?"

Is there a camera that offers Zoom and a good picture quality plus IS? I am partial to Canon because I bought my daughter one a few years ago. I wanted it, but I gave it to her for Christmas. I know this is too broad but if anyone could drop a few names, I would definitely apprecite it. I don't want to compare lesser cameras to the Powershot S95.

Thanks!
dmj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2

dmj4-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

If zoom is a priority, the S-95 is not a particularly good choice. A better choice would be the Canon SX-130, with 12X optical zoom (28mm to 336mm, giving you a nice wide angle setting as well) and HD video where you can zoom and refocus during HD video filming.

The SX-130 is a very nice all around family camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3

The s95 is a better low light shooting camera, and offer a bit better image quality. But it will be lacking with a 3.5x zoom.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Thanks Guys, I knew I could count on you! I was a member here a few years ago when I bought the Canon that I like so much. I read everything on this site and decided on it for my daughter, based on what I liked. I decided to come here again for the best advice there is.

Does the image quality suffer very much with the SX-130? How large is it? My husband has a larger camera now, my son and I don't like the size to carry around all the time. It is a Nikon D40X and we end up leaving it at home or in the car because of the size.

How is the quality in auto mode? Many times we want to just pull it out and it work.

We were hoping to find a compact not ultra compact camera with what we want.

Thanks again

Last edited by dmj4; Sep 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added information
dmj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5

in low light, there will be a noticeable difference. But in good outdoor lighting, the smaller sensor will work almost as well as the s95.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

What will you be taking video of?

Your son's response, whilst very droll, may miss the point somewhat. If you don't actually take pictures or video of far-away subjects where you have to zoom in and cannot get closer then the S95 is fantastic.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
in low light, there will be a noticeable difference. But in good outdoor lighting, the smaller sensor will work almost as well as the s95.
Spot on.

If you want to take pics while on the rides or outside at night (beers of the world anyone?), then I would consider sacrificing the zoom. If you think you won't take many/any low light photos, then go for something with a longer reach.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:20 PM   #8

Can the Canon sd4500is b considered here too? I am no xpert but on paper it looks like a gd camera, with 10x zoom.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:26 PM   #9

it is in the same boat as the other smaller sensor pns. They will not be good in low light without a flash, or if the subject is out of flash range.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:08 PM   #10

dmj4-

I have attached a photo to answer your size question. The Canon SX-130 will easily slip into a purse or jacket pocket. The SX-130 also does quite well at high ISO settings up to ISO 800.

The first photo deals with the SX-130 camera size:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...8_K7YuX-X3.jpg

The second photo is taken with the light from a single desk lamp on my computer desk:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_JG2FY-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote