Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Canon SX130 vs. Panasonic ZS7

So, I'm not an amateur or aspiring photographer, just a relatively casual taker of family photos and places we visit.

the reason i'm looking in this price range is that I want to get something with a higher zoom and HD video.

Most of my photos are indoors, so flash performance is important. As is compactness.

Anything else i should be looking at other than these ? the SX130 certainly looks bigger, but the flash is probably better too just judging by the size of it.

Thanks in advance.
bobwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:39 PM   #2

bobwarren-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

You have tuned in very well on the main issue in your particular case, as the bulk of your photos are taken indoors. Of the two cameras in question here, you are very correct, the Canon SX-130 has a measurably larger and more powerful built-in flash unit. In contrast, the Panasonic ZS7 has a very small and weak built-in flash unit.

That is the big difference in these two camera. It is easiest to demonstrate this issue by looking at the camera to subject distances at which each camera can attain a normal indoor exposure. On the Canon SX-130 that flash range is 10 ton 12 feet. On the Panasonic ZS7 that flash range is just 6 to 8 feet. That is a considerable difference.

Of course you can numerically increase the ISO to get a greater Flash Range distance. However, as soon as the ISO setting is numerically increased, visible noise becomes evident in your photos degrading the image quality.

IMO, the Canon SX-130 is clearly the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
bobwarren-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

You have tuned in very well on the main issue in your particular case, as the bulk of your photos are taken indoors. Of the two cameras in question here, you are very correct, the Canon SX-130 has a measurably larger and more powerful built-in flash unit. In contrast, the Panasonic ZS7 has a very small and weak built-in flash unit.

That is the big difference in these two camera. It is easiest to demonstrate this issue by looking at the camera to subject distances at which each camera can attain a normal indoor exposure. On the Canon SX-130 that flash range is 10 ton 12 feet. On the Panasonic ZS7 that flash range is just 6 to 8 feet. That is a considerable difference.

Of course you can numerically increase the ISO to get a greater Flash Range distance. However, as soon as the ISO setting is numerically increased, visible noise becomes evident in your photos degrading the image quality.

IMO, the Canon SX-130 is clearly the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
Wow, that was fast ! thanks.

Any better recommendation in that price range ? (<300)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4

bobwarren-

What are you looking for specifically? There are other cameras in the compact zoom category, but none that can quite beat the Canon SX-130 as an all round family camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
bobwarren-

What are you looking for specifically? There are other cameras in the compact zoom category, but none that can quite beat the Canon SX-130 as an all round family camera.

Sarah Joyce
Items I'm looking for

HD Video
Higher Zoom (>/= 10X)
Good Indoor Quality
Compactness (less important)

Just by looking through places like Amazon and Testfreaks I thought I had narrowed it down to ZS7 or CanonSX130, but certainly I'm no expert and I quite easily may have missed decent offerings from other manufacturers. I do have an affinity for Canon as I've always had good luck with them previously.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6

Well,what more can I say other than the Canon SX-130 remains your best choice based on your most recent post.

Here is a SX130 photo sample:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_jLWja-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Well,what more can I say other than the Canon SX-130 remains your best choice based on your most recent post.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks again.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:

Here is a SX130 photo sample:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_jLWja-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Nice.

One last question, I promise.

How does the Kodak Z950 compare for indoor performance ?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:27 PM   #9

The Kodak Z950 is a way to save some money, but there are a few glitches.

The Kodak Z-950 is:

*without a wide angle. it begins at 36mm

* slow to process photos taken. giving it very so shot to shot times.

*In the HD video the Z-950 can zoom but not re-focus.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwarren View Post
So, I'm not an amateur or aspiring photographer, just a relatively casual taker of family photos and places we visit.

the reason i'm looking in this price range is that I want to get something with a higher zoom and HD video.

Most of my photos are indoors, so flash performance is important. As is compactness.

Anything else i should be looking at other than these ? the SX130 certainly looks bigger, but the flash is probably better too just judging by the size of it.

Thanks in advance.
I cannot find the link right now but there is a web page that lets you compare pictures side-by-side of many cameras.

I compared the sx130 to the ZS7 and in all of the indoor shots at all ISO levels the ZS7 showed more grainy images than the sx130 and the colors in the sx130 were more "vivid" (although I don't know which were closer to the actual scene they were shooting).
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote