Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:52 AM   #11

Without the flash it was just black and one big blurred mess!
amateurkidspicturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 AM   #12

Does that mean we were able to solve the problem?? I hope so!

Now where do we go with the DSLR choice??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:49 AM   #13

Parpatetric is correct that a dslr would only solve part of the problem. You will also need to mix in a fast prime lens, or a powerful external flash. And you would have to be shooting at 1600iso with the fast prime at 2.8 or better to keep up the shutter speed. With a good external flash you could use 400, 800 or 1600iso, with will give you less noise.

The EPL1 with the 1.7 shooting you just need to realize the dof that you may have to deal with. The first shot was taken with the epl-1 and 20mm at 1.7 at 200 iso, the second is the kit lens at 3.5 at 800iso. All indoor shots. The first shot show the dof you will have to deal with shooting a big aperture.
Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:44 PM   #14

Sorry, I'm not up on the camera lingo... seems like not english to me! Are we saying that if I took the same photos (same area etc.) with the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi or XS and the lense that comes with it my pics would look the same as the ones I posted?
amateurkidspicturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:46 PM   #15

the kit lenses on both the xsi and xs are very similar, if the are both image stablized lenses, then they are the same lenses. But they are not great indoor low light shooting lenses.

The have apertures of 3.5 to 5.6. The smaller the number the bigger the opening to let light in. prime lenses are single length lenses, so they can be design with bigger apertures like 2.8 or 1.8 making them better for shooting in low light.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurkidspicturetaker View Post
Help! I just purchased a Panasonic Z35 and I am NOT happy with the pictures it is taking. It blurs a ton of stuff and just not what I'm looking for. That being said, I am considering returning and making the jump to the DSLR world, though the $ is killing me! ...
Sarah made some good points. The FZ35 has proven to be an excellent camera. It is possible that you are not setting the camera according to the shooting conditions and if this is the case, buying a DSLR will only make things worse and you could be even unhappier. For instance, I think as far as video is concerned, P&S produce better results than DSLRs. If you like to shoot through LCD, P&S will offer a better shooting experience than most DSLRs. Sony has the best live view implementation. All other brands are mediocre in this department.

So, make sure you understand why you are missing shots with your FZ35 and go from there.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:33 PM   #17

amateurkids-

You can get your Panasonic FZ-35 set up properly, so that you are getting great photos as proven by the many photo samples in the Panasonic P+S folder, or you can switch to a DSLR camera that may indeed bring you a lot more grief, due to your not too spiffy basic photographic knowledge.

IMO I would go with getting the FZ-35 producing the photos that you desire, rather than advancing to a DSLR and compounding and making things worse. The decision is up to you, and we will await your decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote