Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Pentax Kx vs. Canon Rebel XS vs Canon Rebel XSi

Help! I just purchased a Panasonic Z35 and I am NOT happy with the pictures it is taking. It blurs a ton of stuff and just not what I'm looking for. That being said, I am considering returning and making the jump to the DSLR world, though the $ is killing me!

I have heard great things about these three cameras and have seen the work (first hand) the XSi does. What does everyone here suggest?!

I take mostly pictures of kids...a really fast 3 year old by the way! We do indoor pics and outdoor pics and I'm interested in possibly starting to do family pics for people on the side.
amateurkidspicturetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hmm, be careful. Getting a DSLR won't necessarily solve your problems.

A DSLR is not a better P&S. When stepping from a P&S to DSLR most peoples' pictures get worse before they get better.

Can you post some examples of pictures you're not happy with, then we can make some recommendations.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:35 AM   #3

I am retired and was interested in moving from a Canon point and shoot to a DSLR. All of your listed cameras are excellent choices. I chose the Pentax Kx because of excellent reviews, includes video, and the value for the money. I chose the two lens kit from B&H for $628 which included the 15-55mm and 55-300mm lens and free shipping. I am very with my choice and with B&H. I agree with peripatetic's comment about most pictures getting worse. It took me a while to get the hand of DOF with a DSLR.

Kenny

Last edited by Ex-Clerk; Sep 29, 2010 at 7:41 AM.
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:42 AM   #4

Default pics

Unfortunately my pictures aren't on this computer to download but the majority of the indoor pictures are blurred somewhere on the picture and the lighting is usually off....mostly the blurring though. I tried the picture last night, one with panasonic and then one with canon rebel xsi and the same room/lighting/fast subject ... Panasonic blurred and XSi didn't.

So you think it's just user error on my camera now?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:49 AM   #5
Super Moderator

No, not necessarily.

But it would help a lot if you (and we) understood why your pictures aren't working now. Once you understand that, then making a choice for a different camera becomes much easier.

We can surmise that there is simply not enough light available in the conditions you are shooting and whatever you do your current camera won't be able to cope. But on the other hand the FZ35 does offer a fair amount of control over various parameters and you haven't told us about what steps you have tried to mitigate the problems.

When you say the lighting is off - I presume you mean the colour settings i.e. the white balance is wrong. But we don't know what the lighting conditions were, and you can certainly change the white balance in the FZ35.

We don't know what shutter speed, aperture and ISO you were using, or indeed what picture mode. And if you don't know what your settings for those things were, then getting a DSLR and hoping your pictures will be better is a bit of a gamble.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:22 AM   #6

I mitigated the blur somewhat by putting it on the sports setting but that didn't get rid of it all together, the automatic setting is aweful indoors...nothing would show up at all that wasn't blurred. Someone on the Panasonic forum gave me another auto setting to use which I tried and was a little better. The lighting itself doesn't bother me as much as the blurring. That part drives me crazy! It does take some good pictures but not for the most part. I can't download the pics but here are a couple links:

Last edited by amateurkidspicturetaker; Sep 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Okay, all the EXIF data about shutter speed, etc has been stripped off those.

However. You are trying to take photos without flash in a very dark room, and your shutter speed is simply too low to avoid blurring due to subject motion.

An entry-level DSLR would help a little bit. Maybe enough to keep you happy, but probably not. You would almost certainly need to add a very fast fixed focal length lens to give you some extra room, but then you are going to run into shallow DOF problems.

Have you tried using your camera flash under these conditions? There are plenty of threads on this forum where people using DSLR cameras have been getting very similar results and the consensus answer (with some minority dissent) is that a flash is the best solution.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:27 AM   #8

sounds to me like the problem is that you're trying to use auto settings. a dslr will do better in low light, but unless you use settings other than auto, chances are you'll run into the same problems. a faster lens on a dslr would help, but faster lenses tend to be much more expensive, and you'd probably still need to take the camera off auto. both cameras you list are good cameras, but a fast lens is still gonna cost you, and without it if you use these cameras on full auto with no changes to settings, they're probably going to drop the shutter speed down enough to show hand shake.

you might want to consider an olympus epl1 with the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens if you don't need zoom. my thought here is that the epl1 is supposed to be very good on auto, it has in body image stabilization, and the pancake lens is very good for low light. the catch is the shallow dof that peripatetic mentioned.

the cheapest option is to keep your camera and use the flash.

Last edited by pcake; Sep 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:51 AM   #9

Actually on all of those pictures I did have the flash on, that's why I'm thinking something is wrong.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:51 AM   #10

amateurkids.

Suppose we could solve the blurred photos problem with the Panasonic FZ-35, would you still want to migrate to a DSLR?? Because the blurred photos can be solved by:

(1) Setting the FZ-35 to the "P" for Programed Auto Mode and ISO to Auto ISO.

(2) Selecting the camera's built-in flash on and setting the WB to flash WB. It is the small box with a single lighting bolt on the left inside the bos with the letters "wb" to the right.

(3) Keeping the camera to subject distance no less than 3 feet and no more than 12 feet.

(4) Taking your photo.

That should take care of the blurry photos. Now back to the question of purchasing a DSLR camera. Is that still on?? It is an added expense and there will indeed be a a bit more serious learning curve to overcome on a DSLR camera. Please let us know. Thanks in advance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote