Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:09 AM   #11

The CMOS/BSI-CMOS sensors have been proven to be far superior to the CCD sensor in all areas except for one. The CMOS/BSI-CMOS sensors are far superior in these areas; they use less power, they dissipate less heat, they have much fast data thoughput speeds (great for movies) they are less complex and much cheaper to manufacture. The CCD sensor has only one advantage and that is better still image quality.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #12

Give it a rest, would you?

Nobody cares but you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #13

Request granted. I will give it a rest. However, people that ask: "which is better and for what use, the CMOS vs CCD vs BSI/CMOS ? " I honestly feel that this is a very reasonable and legitimate question. I am sure that I am not the only one that cares about what the answer to this question is.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #14

The appropriate question is ...
Quote:
Which is the best camera for the kind(s) of photos I want to take?
The question ...
Quote:
Which is the best technology for making image sensors?
... ignores all the other technology that goes into making a good digital camera, and so is irrelevant to the first, appropriate question.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:37 PM   #15

"TCav", you are absolutely correct. It does not matter what type of sensor (CCD, CMOS, or BSI/CMOS) is in any model of any brand of a digital camera in regards to the best overall picture quaslity. Without the proper processor, sub-assemblies and a good lens to go with it, the sensor type is completely irrelevant. "TCav", I am sincerely sorry and I appologize if I offended you with my opinions as to what I thought was the best sensor type. I was simply sharing the information that I gained in my research on this subject because I too wanted to know which type of sensor technology was the best for "still" image quality. I admit that I did not take into account all the other factors that go along with it.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #16

May I just interject one thing? I read the comment about giving this a rest, so I thought you might like to hear my side of it.

I googled "EXRCMOS vs BSI-CMOS." I was on another site, comparing some cameras, and I'd narrowed it down to three. (I should ask THIS forum to help me, so as not to make a mistake on what I purchase.) I noticed that the sensors were different. I realized I'd never read up on the different types and googled the terms, as I wondered if my choice of sensors would impact my purchase much.

One of the top five Google results brought me directly to this website, this thread. Soooo... I'm not the only one wanting info. And honestly, it's so new to me that I was very interested in reading all of the comments.

I'm not out to defend anyone in particular, and certainly not to OFfend anyone. But I was thankful to find this discussion. I totally "get it" now, and can proceed to the next phase of decision-making.

If I don't get pounced on for posting here as a newcomer, I may ask more questions in another section of this forum and look for suggestions on what to buy. I can't afford to make a mistake, and I have very specific needs for this camera. I'm pretty "set" as far as my nicer equipment... I have cameras that I LOVE... one of the two being an AMAZING full format body. LOVE IT! But need a smaller, "lesser" camera for another purpose and I'm lost going backwards.

Thanks in advance for your time.
ASHLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM   #17
Administrator

ASHLittle

You're replying to a thread that's almost 3 years old, with the latest post to it almost a year old.

As a result, your post was flagged as needing moderator approval since it was suspected as being spam by our automatic spam filter.

So, my apologies for the post not showing up in our forums sooner (as we had to review and approve it first).

As for the labels a given manufacturer gives to their sensors, that's mostly marketing. Sure, there are some differences in technical design. But, that's the last thing I'd consider when shopping for a new camera.

Instead, I'd look at how well a specific camera/lens/sensor combination performs to get a better idea of what you can expect from a given camera model. See our reviews for more detail in that area:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 4:34 AM   #18

I'm beginning to think what I want is not out there. I only googled for sensor info because I was clueless and wondered it it could be important.

I will check out your link. Thanks.
ASHLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
The CMOS/BSI-CMOS sensors have been proven to be far superior to the CCD sensor in all areas except for one. The CMOS/BSI-CMOS sensors are far superior in these areas; they use less power, they dissipate less heat, they have much fast data thoughput speeds (great for movies) they are less complex and much cheaper to manufacture. The CCD sensor has only one advantage and that is better still image quality.
I was hoping for more BSI-CMOS vs CMOS with regard to the PowerShot S120 (as there is no value to wikipedia's truth by consensus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

Nobody cares but you.
Incorrect. I registered to contradict such an outrageous assault on precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

You're replying to a thread that's almost 3 years old

As for the labels a given manufacturer gives to their sensors, that's mostly marketing. Sure, there are some differences in technical design
To avoid necro apply forum feature "pruning". Old topics will continue to be matched in interweb search results. Hopefully one is not hoping to churn third party ad profits [at expense of unfiltered viewer expense: privacy] with outdated posts. Maintaining only current posts increases content value: more traffic.

Last edited by detailed; Apr 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM.
detailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:15 PM   #20

There must be something about Spring.