Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS T2i or Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2r?

I really like the features available with the lumix, and I know they can take good pictures, but they are limited in accessories available. I had a bad experience with Canon in the past so I'm a little hesitant to buy another, and the only Nikons in my price range have fewer MP that my Kodak z980 so Nikons are out of the question. (Plus I plain don't like Nikon.) The one thing about the Lumix that I really like is the ability to use Live View for shooting, which the Canon does not have (to my knowledge). Sony has a few cameras with Live View shooting but I've never really liked Sony picture quality much, and I know nothing about lens compatibility. I guess I'm just asking for anyone's opinion on basically any camera I've mentioned here (or that I've not mentioned). I want something with 12MP minimum, $900 MAX, live view shooting capabilities, wide range of accessories, and a non-annoying interface.

I also have some vivitar lenses from my dad's ancient film canon AE1--any chance these would work with any of the cameras today?

I really like Pentax K-Rs as well, but I've heard they have a lot of problems with image noise...is this true? Thoughts please, and thanks!

Last edited by cinderhawkcreative; Sep 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:11 PM   #2

With the older lens you have, you can get an adapter to mount them to a canon or micro 4/3. The have FD to EF adapter and FD to m4/3 adapters.

If you shoot in low light, the G2 would not be my first choice. It does not have the best hi iso performance. so if you need to shoot at 1600 and up. I would go with a dslr over the G2.

The T2i is a very good camera, and was award a tipa for best advance dslr in feb. It produce some excellent photos. And have a very good AF system for action shooting. And it does give you a ton of lenses to choose from. And allot of other accessories.

Canon DSLR are very well made, and canon has excellent customer support for the dslr. I had a issue with the mirror box after 30k photos, was still in warranty. So I sent it to them at newport news for service. I had also damage the case a bit and was ready to pay for a replacement plastic case. But the did all the repairs free of charge and turn around time was less then a week. It seems canon are very quick with the dslr market when it comes to service.

The K-r is pretty new, so I really do not know about the image noise issue. I know the k-x is an excellent camera when dealing with noise. And it seems pentax have been putting out products that have really good high iso performance.

If you do not like nikon, then I would skip it. It will just bug you if you opted for a nikon.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:28 PM   #3

Quote:
I had also damage the case a bit and was ready to pay for a replacement plastic case.
Can you replace case by yourself or you should send it to service? Is it under warranty? Because i had same thing under the camera where tripod entry located.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:26 PM   #4

cinderhawk-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Panasonic Lummix G-2 is a good camera, but it is ISO limited to ISO 800 and ISO 1600 in a real pinch. So I do not see it as a real solution for you. If indeed, LiveView is a #1 priority, then I would suggest that you purchase a Sony A-500 body ($399,95 at Amazon) and add the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and the Sony 55-200mm kit lens which you can find easily on E-Bay, Craig's List etc. Both lenses will cost around $200 max.

The result is that you can have a great LiveView set-up for $600. Sony has the best implementation of LiveView, bar none.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:49 PM   #5

Need to send it into canon to get the case replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Can you replace case by yourself or you should send it to service? Is it under warranty? Because i had same thing under the camera where tripod entry located.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice so far guys =] I don't primarily shoot in low light, hardly ever actually, with the exception of moon shots. The main things I photograph are macro shots and horses (aka high shutter speed necessary)...if that's of any help xD
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:51 AM   #7

Default camera

I'd recommend that you first research the lenses you'll need for your photography, then buy the camera that matches the lenses.

For horses, you'll need a good telephoto lens.

For macro photography, you'll need a good macro lens.

Research what other people are using, and see if you can find lenses and camera combination that fits into your price range.

I know it sounds backward, but ultimately it's lens selection that will fit your photography needs.

Keep in mind your photography interests may change over time, and you may opt to buy more lenses (I have four DSLR lenses!).

So, in a sense, you're buying into a "system". You might want to opt for a Canon, if you like their lens selection. Or you might go with another manufacturer.

Once you've decided on a manufacturer, the tendency is to stick with it. For instance, I have four Canon lenses, so it's not likely that my next DSLR upgrade would be a Nikon because I'd pretty much be stuck with selling all my Canon lenses used and starting over again buying Nikon lenses.

So I know it all sounds a bit complicated but some of the fun of photography is doing research on which lenses / cameras / systems to buy into.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderhawkcreative View Post
I really like Pentax K-Rs as well, but I've heard they have a lot of problems with image noise...is this true?
Pentax just announced the K-r model a couple of weeks ago, then at Photokia in Germany about 10 days ago, had models of it available for the public to look at, touch and hold.

I do not know where you heard or read that there are problems with image noise with the K-r. On the contrary, the specifications have the model handling very high ISO levels very well, just like the K-x. The K-x model provides high ISO levels and is one of the best cameras available for high ISO levels and does extremely well in ambient low light situations. It was also received a award a TIPA award. The K-r is an extension and upgrade of the K-x, where a number of features that the K-x lacked are included in the K-r.

Pentax also announced the K-5 which supports an ISO level of 51,600 which is extremely high, and does very well (for such a high ISO level). In fact in some sample images taken at Photokia, the K-5 looked like it handled high ISO speeds as well as and possibly better than the K-x.

Now none of the new Pentax models have been sold, none have been reviewed nor tested by anyone - yet. Both of them have only been seen by the public since September 21 when Photokia began.

Ergonomically, Pentax does extremely well with their small, light weight well built bodies, well laid out user controls and interfaces. That said, user interfaces are one area where personal preferences prevail - what one person likes, others may see as problems. Its a very subjective area - and everyone has their own personal opinion.

Liveview and dSLRs - to me this is somewhat of an oxymoron. Liveview works very well with P&S cameras, since what the lens and sensor sees is displayed on the rear monitor. Also the units are small and lightweight so that when held out in front of you (not the most stable of positions) - you are able to point and shoot well. dSLRs on the other hand are a bit different. dSLR stands for digital single lens reflex, which operates a bit differently than P&S. The light comes in through the lens, hits a mirror and is redirected up to the viewfinder (it does not go directly to the sensor), so there is no image from the sensor to display on the rear screen. The mirror needs to be up for live view to occur.

The next thing is that dSLRs are a bit larger in both size and weight than P&S, thus to hold out in front of you to focus and frame the picture can become very tiring, and thus can therefor induce camera shake.

That is not to say that liveview is not useful on a dSLR, on a tripod and when in peculiar positions liveview is very useful. However using the optical fiewfinder is much better (in most situations), in that the camera is held closer to the body in such a way as to help reduce camera shake.

hope that helps....

Last edited by interested_observer; Oct 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote