Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:07 PM   #11

Hards said it very clearly-

There is going to have to be a compromise somewhere. $450 is not quite enough a budget for an entry level DSLR camera, other than a Sony A-230 purchased on E-bay.

So the choice is up to the OP! You can work around the SX-130 as suggested, or you can make a huge financial jump and consider a DSLR camera. That is a BIG step.

Please think this through, and determine where you really want to be. Is it A good P+S camera with some low light/high ISO capability, or is it the huge jump to an entry level DSLR camera?? As the OP, only you can really answer that key question.

Make that decision, and we will move forward, in great detail, with your choice. but none the less, this is the time for a REAL decision. Then, and only then can we really move ahead.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:32 PM   #12

Before I decide, how much would it cost to get all of the things I wanted in a camera? I don't mind a big camera, I have a big handbag that can carry it unless its abnormally large. I usually carry about 15 lbs in it anyways. =)

And if I have to prioritize its more so for close group shots of me and my pals at night and then zoom in daytime. I would like at least 15x zoom if possible.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:34 PM   #13

with a dslr, you can have about a 15x zoom if you go with a kit lens, an a lens with 250mm on the long end of a zoom.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 PM   #14

Any suggestions as to which make and model and how much it is going to cost?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:16 PM   #15

it depends on your budget.

If you really want low light, something like the canon t1i with the kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 would be a good choice.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:49 PM   #16

The pivotal issue here is really how much do you want to spend, and what photos have the greatest priority. Please give us a few more details. Thanks in advance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:10 PM   #17

Highest priority for me is me in group pictures in my home or a low lit nightclub with mirror ball lights moving around or capturing sights illuminated by lights that are memorable. Next would be zoom because I want that option but I don't need to have the best or most expensive zoom available.

I travel quite a lot with an Iphone camera which I have isn't ideal for night shots. I just want a really good camera within my my budget which was really $450 but I guess I will make exceptions if necessary. The hard cap would have to be $1000 but I would prefer a camera I do not have to learn too much. Or at the very least something that I can program into a set mode to night mode and snap away friends together and not put too much thought into pictures when with group or in daytime I can play around with settings and take my time framing outdoor or beach pictures just as I want them.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:13 PM   #18

canon t1i with the 2 kit lens, and the 50 1.8 would fall just under your hard cap. But that big need for low light you will need to move up to a dslr. Clubs, you will need a the 50 1.8 if you can not use a powerful external flash.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:22 PM   #19

also canon should be rebating the camera soon, as we get deeper into oct. So that may save you about 100 dollars.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:28 PM   #20

Or if you go to adorama.com you can get a canon factory refreb with a 1 year warranty and save some more.