Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Which slr?

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade to an DSLR Camera.

I've got shortlisted for a few competitions with my nikon digital and looking to take advance a bit further.

The only necessities are:

An optical viewfinder and anti-shake and blur as I have a neurological condition.

Also I will need this camera to last quite a while

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ISLANDHEALER; Oct 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: needed to add a letter
ISLANDHEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:23 PM   #2

Canon and Nikon have image stabilization in their lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive.

Pentax, Sony and most Olympus dSLRs have image stabilization in the camera bodies, which makes any OEM or third party lens stabilized, including lenses for Pentax and Minolta film cameras. (Sony took over Minolta's camera business in 2006.) (When Olympus went digital, it went with a new mount, so its old film lenses won't work directly with its dSLRs.)

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you might be better off with an Olympus dSLR, because its cameras and lenses are smaller and lighter than those from other brands. But different cameras and different brands have their strengths and weaknesses. Without knowing what types of photos you wnat to take, I wouldn't make any kind of recommendation.

So, what do you want to shoot?

Last edited by TCav; Oct 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Hi

I like to take wildlife, seascape, animals, flowers that sort of thing.

I would like sharp image and good zoom ability, but most importantly the optical viewfinder and anti-shake/blur.

Thanks
ISLANDHEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4

I see the Sony DSLR cameras as a better option than the Olympus DSLR cameras and they do not weigh a significant amount more than the Olympus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I see the Sony DSLR cameras as a better option than the Olympus DSLR cameras and they do not weigh a significant amount more than the Olympus.
But for equivalent focal lengths, the longer lenses for the Olympus are smaller and lighter than for the Sony.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:05 PM   #6

wildlife, I would go with the pentax if you do not want to make a huge investment in a lens. Pentax has a 2 kit lens with a 18-55 and 55-300. You will need the longer reach of 300 for wildlife. Also the AF of the pentax is fast so if you get a bird in flight close enough you can track it with the AF system.

To get a good 70-300 with canon and nikon, the lens will cost between 450-550 dollars, and with the sony it will cost 700 dollars for a good 70-300.

The olympus with give you the best option for shooting birds in flight at long range, as the crop factor of 2x vs 1.6 with canon and 1.5 with nikon, pentax and sony. With the 70-300 on the olympus you reach out to 600mm, canon you reach out to 480mm, and nikon, sony and pentax you reach to 450mm.

The only thing about the olympus is that 1600iso is about the max iso you want to shoot at, after that is gets a bit noise. But even with my canon, for normal low light 1600iso is all I need. Unless I am shooting action in the dark, then I use the higher iso of the canon and a fast prime.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:30 PM   #7

TCav-

I would guess that the Sony 55-200mm lens is about equal in weight to the Olympus 40-150mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I would guess that the Sony 55-200mm lens is about equal in weight to the Olympus 40-150mm lens.
Yes, but the Olympus 70-300 is a lot lighter than the Sony 70-400.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:35 PM   #9

aren't the olympus dslr's pretty much dead? though the e-5 pretty much just a confirmation of end of line for the 4/3 mount and they were jsut working on m4/3 now
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:46 PM   #10

The E-5 is Olympus' new top of the line 4/3 dSLR. It's not a m4/3 EVIL. If anything, it's an indication of the strength of the Olympus dSLR line.