Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:43 PM   #11

When you consider that you can do a limited amount of macro, down to about 6" camera to subject distance with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and that you have in body IS, that is a nice feature.

However, if you want to get closer than 6" camera to subject distance, you will have to purchase a specific Macro lens such as the Sony 30mm macro at $199.00. The need for added lenses may indeed play into your DSLR versus Bridge camera decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:15 PM   #12

your zoo shots, you will want a 300mm lens if it is a open zoon, that is something that does not come good and cheap with the sony. 70-300mm G is 700 dollars.

For your macro needs you can get the canon 500d 58mm macro conversion lens and mount it to the 55-300mm pentax lens, and it does a nice job actually. Only 80 dollars. It is not as good as a true macro lens for 1:1 macro. But unless you are shooting all your macro on a tripod, they you are not shooting 1:1. The thing with macro is if you shoot things that can get spooked easily. You will want more range.

The cool out of focus background will require a large aperture lens, the FA 50 1.4 form pentax is a excellent lens. It is not an entry level lens but a mid grade lens. It runs new for 350. This is where the sony has the advantage, as they have an entry level 50 1.8, it is not as good. But it is only 150 dollars. Sony does have a higher grade 50 1.4 for about the same price as the pentax 50 1.4.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
There are some P&S with fast lenses that will give you a shallow DoF.
I think that a user would be really challenged using a P&S trying to get a shallow DoF. Even with a LX3 that has a reasonably large sensor and a wonderful f2 28mm lens, the DoF is not all that shallow with no substantial bokeh to speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The cool out of focus background will require a large aperture lens, the FA 50 1.4 form pentax is a excellent lens. It is not an entry level lens but a mid grade lens. It runs new for 350. This is where the sony has the advantage, as they have an entry level 50 1.8, it is not as good. But it is only 150 dollars. Sony does have a higher grade 50 1.4 for about the same price as the pentax 50 1.4.
There are a ton of older Pentax manual focus 50mm around f2, f1.7 that are in the $30 to $50 range, with the f 1.4 under $120 and f1.2 are getting harder to find, and are of very high quality (some of the best glass around) and do command a very high price.

So yes, you can go with a new lens, but there can be substantial savings in looking into great quality used lenses. Prices are increasing. Just a couple of years ago, I acquired my f1.7 for under $20 and a f2 nearly free.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:17 PM   #14

I agree pentax has allot of older glass on the used market, that are excellent. I just pricing base on new. To keep everything that same.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

B&H has the A500 kits with a lens for $539.99

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

I am very tempted to buy this camera at this price. I had the A300 and A200 and liked them both. I recently bought the Kx and really disliked the lack of focus point indicator, so it's going back. Two of the cameras I've liked the most (and still have) are the Sony H1 and R1. The A500 may be a good DSLR to complement my m4/3 system.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I think that a user would be really challenged using a P&S trying to get a shallow DoF....
Not really. A lot has to do with FL. Just because the sensor is usually much smaller it does not necessarily means you can't obtain a shallow DoF. I'll post some images when I have access to them to show what I mean.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote