Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:19 PM   #1

Default More questions about first DSLR choices

I think that in body IS is going to be something I want, and I know that I'm basically looking at Sony and Pentax for that. The Sony A230 is the bargain option for my first DSLR but I don't like the grip - not enough there for me to hold on to. It is also listed online as a discontinued model (don't know whether that really matters). Walmart online has it for $379 (the store has it for $399 and they won't price match their own website) The price is good but not if I'm uncomfortable using it. Anybody have thoughts on that? Being my first jump up from my little 4mp Kodak dx6490 I'm sure the 10mp will seem wonderful but would my money be better spent on the newer model that replaced the A230 I go with that one or do I invest another $100+ dollars and jump up to the Sony A290 (14 instead of 10) and an improved grip or maybe the Pentax k-x which is priced online anywhere from $475-$775

Thoughts on these???
kfulweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:29 PM   #2

If you can't comfortably hold a camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots and be disappointed with the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:49 PM   #3

The Sony A-290 does have a totally re-designed hand grip but it costs $499.

The Sony A-500 body (Amazon has it for $399) might be a better choice and it does have a very well designed grip. Just pick up the Sony 18-55mm and Sony 55-200mm lens on E-Bay for less than $200.

Now you have a mid level camera with 12mp, and great high ISO capabilities. For that $100 more you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:58 PM   #4
Administrator

If you decide to spend more than the A230 costs, you may want to look at the A500 instead of the A290 (while you can still find the A500). They're selling for around $400 from some vendors. Here's an example (body only, no lens):

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSLRA500-...6041827&sr=8-1

B&H has the A500 kits with a lens for $539.99

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

That way (A500 versus A230 or A290), you'd get lower noise levels with higher available ISO speeds, faster frame rate, fast Autofocus Live View (no live view with the A230 and A290) with a tilting LCD and more.

Sony is releasing newer models that will replace the A500 and A550 (A560 and A580). The newer models have HD Video recording (as well as some more newer features) and the older A500 and A550 do not (they won't record video). So, the A500 is available at pretty good prices at some vendors while supplies last.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:58 PM   #5
Administrator

I took too long typing that post. I see Sarah beat me to it. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:00 AM   #6

If video is something you may want, I would seriously consider the pentax. I would not think to much on the A290, it is just a newer model of the a230 with a updated CDD sensor. The CMOS sensor in the K-x is the same as the one in the A500, and they both are very good at higher iso, pentax seems to have tweaked it a bit to make it really perform well at 6400iso. And the k-x is sell for 499 with just the 1 lens at adorama and j&r. Just need to add them to the cart to see the 499 price.

What do you like to shoot, if you use allot of zoom when shooting the pentax has a good zoom lens in the 55-300mm in kit form or you can add it later for about 350 dollars. For the sony to get a good 300mm zoom, you are looking at the 70-300mm G lens. It is a really really nice lens, but it is also 700 dollars.

There are the inexpensive tamron and sigma 70-300 but they are not as sharp as the pentax 55-300. And they just get by at the 200-300 range, as they are very soft out there.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:48 AM   #7

The Sony A-500 remains a top buy, and the greatest bang for the buck, everyone acknowledges that, just look at the postings.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:01 PM   #8

I do want good zoom (zoo and farm animals) and good macro capabilities (flowers, food shots, etc.). I also want to be able to get that cool bokeh you can't get with P&S. I shoot for fun - family fun and celebrations indoors and out, vacations, horse shows, landscapes, architectural elements, animals, etc. No fast action capability really needed. I've wondered whether or not jumping over the bridge cameras to DSLR is the right thing to do, but the bridge cameras are basically the same price as the lower end DSLR so???? Should I more seriously consider a super zoom over a dslr??

Last edited by kfulweiler; Oct 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
kfulweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:48 PM   #9

The B&H price for the A500 is a heck of a deal. Sony's implementation of LV is far superior than Pentax (probably the best of all DSLRs).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfulweiler View Post
... I also want to be able to get that cool bokeh you can't get with P&S. ...
There are some P&S with fast lenses that will give you a shallow DoF.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote