Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:14 PM   #1

Default Problem with Sony DSC-TX7

First, I'd like to say thanks in advance for your advice/help.

I first used this forum about 5 years ago when buying my first digital camera. The advice was so great, that I am just now shopping for my second one.

So I thought I could just go to the top picks page on this website and find my ultra compact camera without all the research and hassle. I knew I could trust this website since I was so pleased before. So, I just picked 1 of the 3 pictures of cameras up for that category, I've liked my other sony products (computer, home theater system), so I picked that one - the Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7.

What I was looking for in a camera was just something that would take great photos of me & my family posing in front of something, typical family cam, occasional scenery shot while on vacation. I would also like something small so it would be easy to carry. That's pretty much it.

Well, I've had this camera home for about an hour. I've taken a handful of pictures of my husband in different lighting inside our apartment & it is AWFUL! The main problem is his skin looks horribly red, like he has some sort of ailment. Red around the eyes, super red lips and red blemishes everywhere (that you can't see up close in person) and generally all around red skin/arms/face. He looks sickly. The camera seems to be on auto mode (which is best for me!)

Is there something wrong here? Is there anything I can do to fix this before marching back up to sony to lose a hefty restocking fee? And if that is ultimately where I'm headed, where did I go wrong with this camera & which one should I get? Thanks a lot!
rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:55 PM   #2

OK - so now I've uploaded the photos onto my computer. They are much less red (still a bit too red) - must be the lcd screen. However, now I notice how blurry they are. This is with face recognition.

Redish face - blurry

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSC00005.jpg

Blurry

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSC00001.jpg

Camera has a "sharpen/unmask" feature under editing that made the picture crisper:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSC00002.jpg

I guess that's ok but it would take a while to edit every photo like that.

This is a pic from my old camera - a kodak easyshare V550, only 5 mgp. Wondering why I bought a new camera. I thought I would be impressed with 5 years of new technology, all these added light sensors & pixels!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/100_3310.jpg
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:33 PM   #3

At the size you posted the pics at, no blurring is visible to my eye. There is noticeable softness to the images but that is a normal characteristic of these CMOS sensors. If you can increase sharpness in-camera then I would do so (I don't mean editing, I mean before taking pic - is this possible?). Likewise, the reddish tones are characteristic of all of Sony's recent P&S cameras.

More MP isn't necessarily a good thing unless you plan on printing larger prints. 5MP is more than enough for small prints. As for the backside illuminated sensors, I think they still come with more costs than benefits. Surely they will improve in the future and I think Canon has already started to make some progress with them.

Ultimately you will have to decide what is most important. If you want better low light performance, a bigger sensor and faster lens are key. Generally speaking though, those cameras have more of a learning curve though they do all have auto modes of course. If you want the best video, then a CMOS sensor is preferable - but CMOS sensors don't come in those larger sizes on these cams. The list goes on ..
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:18 PM   #4

Thanks FiveO

Photobucket definitely shrank the photo size. Maybe what I am calling blurry is the softness of the photo? That is what I am displeased with. Could you explain what a CMOS sensor is (so I can avoid this softness in another camera)?
I have decided to send it back. Too bad for the restocking fee.
I am actually thinking of ordering a kodak slice just because I was so happy with my previous kodak v550. Any objections?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:35 PM   #5

It may indeed be photobucket, but those photos are within the "so called normal" range and about what you would expect in that price range.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainums View Post
Thanks FiveO

Photobucket definitely shrank the photo size. Maybe what I am calling blurry is the softness of the photo? That is what I am displeased with. Could you explain what a CMOS sensor is (so I can avoid this softness in another camera)?
I have decided to send it back. Too bad for the restocking fee.
I am actually thinking of ordering a kodak slice just because I was so happy with my previous kodak v550. Any objections?
CMOS is just a type of sensor. I wasn't suggesting you avoid them indefinitely; I was simply stating that to this point, the P&S cameras that use them seem to output soft images.

I'm not too familiar with Kodak's cameras so I Googled the SLICE and came up with this:

Quote:
With the Slice Kodak has managed to bring together all worst traits to afflict modern compact cameras in one disastrous package.

To top it all off, the Slice performed terribly in our image quality tests. Even at ISO 64, aggressive noise reduction removed any hint of subtle textures, making photos look like they’d been through a Photoshop-style paint effect. At ISO 400, photos resembled surrealist snowstorms. There were heavy chromatic aberrations towards the edges of the frame in wide-angle shots, and even at the centre of frames for telephoto shots. Companies as big as Kodak shouldn’t be making cameras this bad; it’s the worst example of style over substance we’ve seen for a long time.
They also said that the camera is sluggish and the touchscreen sucks. PCMag made this same comment regarding slow performance.

Source: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digit...29/kodak-slice

However, that is just one review. I couldn't really find any other real reviews. The price is right of course - $244 from Amazon right now. Based on that one review though, it sounds like it might provide equally soft (or softer) images.

Have you considered the SD4500? It also uses a CMOS sensor but the few images I have seen from it were quite good. I cannot say however if they were post-processed (i.e. sharpened) before someone posted them on the web.

Last edited by FiveO; Oct 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:59 PM   #7

Thank you. I will check out the SD4500. I really didn't think my old v550 gave me soft images, pretty surprising how these newer cameras are not measuring up. Hmm...I must be missing something here.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainums View Post
Thank you. I will check out the SD4500. I really didn't think my old v550 gave me soft images, pretty surprising how these newer cameras are not measuring up. Hmm...I must be missing something here.
Well CMOS sensors are slowly becoming the norm because more and more people want to use the cameras for video. These CMOS sensors, by design, are typically noisier than their CCD counterparts. The extra noise reduction (NR) that is used to alleviate this problem softens the images up a bit.

Even CCD sensors tend to be noisier today than years ago though. The sensors are the same size - or in many cases even smaller - yet the megapixels have went up. This creates more noise which either has to be left intact or wiped out with NR, at the manufacturer's discretion.

There is also the issue of how different manufacturers choose to process the images in-camera, reproduce colors, etc. Panasonic tends to boost greens, Sony boosts reds & yellows and Canons are known for a more saturated image overall. Sony tends to opt more more NR and less sharpness on their P&S cams and Panasonic tends to lean towards more sharpness and more noise. Canon P&S images are often a little soft but I think they have one of the best NR algorithms out there. Even when noise is present, it tends to be presented evenly.

It all really comes down to personal preference and if you look at enough sample images, you'll start to notice the different traits that are typical of each manufacturer. Of course, performance varies by model as well but many things remain the same within a manufacturer's lines.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:51 PM   #9

I honestly thought that my Kodak V-550 images were very soft. The Sony TX-7 is every bit as good as the V-550, and then some. i don't think you will find the SD-4500 to be any better than the TX-7.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:01 PM   #10

What do I have to look for in a camera to improve on this softness? Just sample pics? Is there anything on the specs that will point me in the right direction? Is there another camera type without getting very large that doesn't have this problem?