Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:27 PM   #11

kaaryn,

Everyone is a little different, you might want to see how the other camera feels in your hand. There is no way that I can tell you if a camera that fits my wife's hands would fit you just as well.

But the bottom line is the HS10, the SX30, FZ 35, 40, 100 are all good camera's. There is really not to much that separated them. Each might do a little better at different things. But they really do not out perform the others. So the best thing you can do is try them out for yourself.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:50 PM   #12

Kaaryn-

I have no argument with handling any camera, however, sometimes that is not possible. What is more important is image quality, and that is where the Panasonic FZ-35, and FZ 40 really show their ability.

All you have to do is to check out the FZ-35 and FZ-40 photos in the Panasonic P+S Folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:08 PM   #13

The HS10 seems to be a real fun camera. The two things I really like about it are the manual zoom lens and manual focus with a focus ring rather the the usual buttons of most P&S that offer this feature. Top that with a 30x zoom lens and you may have a nice bridge camera. It does not get much closer to a DSLR than this.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:18 PM   #14

Just for the sake of asking ... is the FZ100 an equal or better camera overall? Comments online seem to be all over the place and while it has a couple of options added on that would be nice, I would rather have a better photo than a nifty moveable lcd.
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:20 PM   #15

It depends on what you are after, the FZ100 looks to be a very good HD camera.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:27 AM   #16

Good news... I think I found a camera shop 1.5 hours away that carries these, I'm waiting to hear whether they have stock. If they don't, there is one 3 hours away that does, I just have to decide whether I want to drive or use a courier.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:46 PM   #17

One more quick question. I have an 8GB Class 6 SD card from my Canon - is that going to be adequate with an FZ35 or do I need to order a different one?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:49 PM   #18

You will be fine with a class 6, none of the point and shoots really benefit form fast cards. All you need is a class 6 for video. 8GB should be fine for photo and some video.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:51 PM   #19

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:45 PM   #20

Default I agree with Sarah

It sounds like there is a good chance you will get an FZ35, which I agree is a good choice. I had the FZ28, its predecessor. I have had many ultrazooms. Currently, I have the Casio FH20. They all have had their strengths, but for me, the FZ28 was the easiest to take good pictures with. From what I have read in reviews, the FZ35 is similar. Go to imaging-resource online for a review of that camera. The FZ40 and FZ100 have some nice additional features - more zoom, a faster burst mode (FZ100), but the FZ100, at least, is said to be not as good (noise wise) in low light. This might be because you have more megapixels from the same size sensor.
I like my FH20 for its slow motion videos and its incredible burst mode, useful for sports photography in good light. However, if I had to recommend any current superzoom for general photography, it would be the FZ35.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote