Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Canon SX-1 IS, SX-10 IS, or Fuji HS10?

Well after much debate, discussion, doing the math and lots of thinking, I've decided to step back from the DSLR table. Part of me would love to go that route, but there are a whole lot of reasons not to right now. Money being a big one, but also realizing that my life in general isn't going to get along very well with toting around a bunch of camera gear, worrying about lenses that cost more than the camera... I'm not there right now. So I'm going to go back to the idea of a p&s camera that will do most of what I want, and a whole lot more than my current camera will.

I think I'm at the point of a serious debate between the Canon Powershot SX-1 IS or SX-10 IS and the Fuji Finepix HS10. I can get them for about the same price. They seem to have pretty much anything I could need on board. They have good zoom to allow me to shoot the birds, aircraft, etc. The HS10 has some fun stuff that I would enjoy but I know I wouldn't use all that often so I'm not really factoring that in (motion remover, multi-motion, panorama). I don't care a whole lot about the video quality since I only use video to post clips on Facebook for our families back home to watch (although the idea of being able to watch them on the TV is novel). I've been looking at various websites with pics posted by people who have the HS-10 (here included) and am really impressed - but I will admit that I may be too easily impressed.

The question is, does one of these have a major selling point over the other? And if so, what is it?

Bonus question - Will one give me better prints over the others? Every once in a while I like to update the girls' portraits and if I can pull off an acceptable 11x14 I would be ecstatic. It's not a total deal-breaker but if it were dead-even between them then that might sway me.
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

Kaaryn-

Actually I would ditch that line up and look rather closely at the Panasonic FZ-35. It will give you more camera for the buck, and there is a very active FZ-35 folder within the the Panasonic P+S folder that is well worth taking a very good look at in detail.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:21 PM   #3

Thanks - will do!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:11 AM   #4

the new sx30IS looks very impressive, 840mm with that 35x zoom. The HS10 is a good camera also.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:58 AM   #5

HS10 got both the EISA & TIPA for superzoom of the year 2010.But the reviews don't agree with that. FZ35 is ofcourse the favorite of this forum. However FZ40/100 could also b strong competitors.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #6

What's the big selling point(s) for the FZ35 over the others? I have nowhere local to see or handle it, so I'd be going entirely on the advice of others. Thanks

I can get my hands on an HS10 at the Canex store here on base, and SX10IS at Source, an SX20IS at Staples, and maybe an SX30IS at Walmart (the joys of a town pretty removed from anywhere LOL).
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:19 PM   #7

kaaryn-

The Panasonic FZ-35 is a very user friendly camera. It has 18X optical zoom from a highly ranked Leica formula lens, HD video with dual channel sound, full automatic and manual controls, a very easy to use menu format, a full powered built-in flash unit, a high ISO capability up to ISO 800. all in a compact 14 ounce package.

I have owned and returned the Canon SX-10, SX-20, and the Fuji HS-10. The FZ-35 just seemed perfect in hand when I first was able to handle it. It has proven to be a great camera for me and very easy to handle and operate on an everyday basis.

Finally we have a large Panasonic FZ-35 user group in our Panasonic Folder, that is friendly, very willing to help each other, and where lot of photo samples have been posted. There is even a "Beginner's Guide for the FZ-35" that they have put together.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:34 PM   #8

Thanks I've got fairly small hands - I found the Nikon D90 a little awkward and heavy when I was playing with it, but the Canon Rebel XS was comfortable. Is this one about that size?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:20 PM   #9

Kaaryn-

The FZ-35 is slightly smaller than the Canon Rebel XS, and lighter. So it should be a good fit.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:26 PM   #10

Hi Kaaryn,

I read in your other post that you are upgrading from the Canon 590. I owned that camera for a few months and own the FZ35 now. The FZ35 weighs about 14 oz and fits nicely in my hands. I have medium sized hands and arthritis that comes and goes and find I can comfortably hold the FZ35.

GL in your search.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote