Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:50 AM   #1

Default SX130 or FZ38

Hi All,
I have an f31 and am now considering a longer zoom for outdoor uses. Iíve narrowed down my choices to the Canon SX130 and the Panasonic FZ38. Viewing and re-viewing the Comparometer I noticed the following:-
1. FZ38 produces more detail but also more noise. Question = If this is indeed true, then can I adjust the parameters (or post-process) to get the same sharpness as provided by the SX136?
2. The rose in FZ38 is somewhat pink whereas the one in SX136 is really red. Can this be adjusted as well.
3. Iím a casual snapper mostly printing selected family and vacation shots to a maximum of 6X8 only. Will the differences in question 1 and 2 above become indiscernible at 6X8 even if the FZ38 is set to default.
4. In fact if I disregard the zoom (and wide-angle), is my f31 on a par with the FZ38 and SX130 as far as image quality is concerned? I asked this 4th question because after so much hype and going around Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to get one after it was out-of -production in 1908 I was dismayed to find that my sonís Canon IXUS 800IS at full Auto produces better quality photos than my f31.
GreenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:29 PM   #2

Hi,
Quote:
1. FZ38 produces more detail but also more noise. Question = If this is indeed true, then can I adjust the parameters (or post-process) to get the same sharpness as provided by the SX136
would you do this corrections to all your photos? FZ 38 afaik gives noise over 800, till 800 it is not bad.

Quote:
2. The rose in FZ38 is somewhat pink whereas the one in SX136 is really red. Can this be adjusted as well.
Sorry rose? macro or something else?

Quote:
3. I’m a casual snapper mostly printing selected family and vacation shots to a maximum of 6X8 only. Will the differences in question 1 and 2 above become indiscernible at 6X8 even if the FZ38 is set to default.
You can barely see the difference between DSLR and a compact in 6*8 in same conditions.

If the size is a problem go with sx130, if not one of them is high end bridge camera which is FZ 38 and the other is compact.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:11 PM   #3

GreenLeaf-

Your F31 has a physically larger imager than either the Canon SX-130 or the Panasonic FZ-38. That is why the F-31 show less electronic noise. The F31 and the IXUS 800 should have about the same image quality through ISO 400, then the F31 should pull ahead of the IXUS 800 and should have better image quality through the top ISO setting.

So, if you want the 18X optical zoom that the FZ-38 offers, you have to accept that the FZ-38 does indeed have a physically smaller imager, and that smaller imager will show a bit more electronic noise in ISO settings on the FZ-38 above ISO400. if the noise is a distraction, then you can use some software designed to reduce noise. But that is the "price" of the much desired longer zoom.

Keep using your F31 for high ISO settings, that is what it was designed for.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

Hi imut,
Thanks for the quick reply. It is indeed difficult to remove the noise one-by-one during post-processing. That’s why I asked whether if changing the parameters in-camera (increasing the NR for example) will remove the noise WITHOUT LOSING DETAILS.
The colour of the rose I referred to is the fake (paper? fabric?) rose in the green vase in front of the indoor portrait of the model in the Comparometer. You can also see the noise of the fz38 vis-ŗ-vis the SX130 in the ‘rose’ even in ISO 100, 200, and 300.

Hi mtclimber,
Thanks for the quick reply also. As stated above, I noticed noise even below ISO 400. But then I may be just nit-picking and pixel-peeping and the differences may not be that apparent at print size 6X8. I’m now more worried about the colour.
By the way are you anchor722 in Dpreview Canon talk? The landscape shot of the boats and quay is outstandingly sharp. Can the FZ38 perform similarly or better?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 PM   #5

GreenLeaf-

Yes, indeed I am Anchor722 on DPReview. I have posted below, a link to the photo that I think you might be referring to from DPR. One copy of the photo was done with the Canon SX-130, and another copy was done with the Sony A-500 DSLR camera. Image sharpness is one of my top priorities.

And yes, the FZ-35 is capable to producing equal sharpness in its images. Noise can be minimized by using the lowest possible ISO setting. The FZ-35/38 (they are the same camera with very small modifications to address needed regional needs around the globe). Color saturation is adjustable in the camera in the FZ-38, and in most DSLR cameras, such as the Sony A-500 and A-550.

Naturally, a DSLR camera has greater in camera adjustment potentials, than lesser cameras such as the Canon SX-130. If a user really desires to work at noise reduction, and color enhancement, the tools are there and available.

I believe this is the photo that you mentioned in your post. Please just click on the link below:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...4_MayYq-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:52 AM   #6

Yes Sarah,
That was indeed the photo I was referring to.