Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Canon Powershot G12 or Panasonic G2

My Canon point & shoot is missing in action. I had been thinking of upgrading for some time, but now with no camera, I have no choice.

I take a lot of daytime outside and inside pictures for work (commercial real estate), as well as nature shots while mountain biking and skiing. I do have SLR experience, but am not looking for that type of bulky camera. But, I am not completely comfortable with the ergonomics of small cameras such as the Canon S90.

I borrowed a friends' Canon G11 last weekend, and really enjoyed its' ergonomics and abiilty to manipulate shots manually. One would think that the new G12 would be the most logical choice, but at $499 msrp, it does open up the possiblity of jumping to a more all around expandable camera such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC G2 that is now available for close to $600 with the stock 14-42mm lense. The G2 is a bit heftier than the G12 (but neither is a pocket type) and opens up so much more for future lens expansion, etc.

My question to the experts is how will the pictures of the G12 compare to the G2, and should I simply go with the smaller one piece Canon choice because of my mountain biking and skiing picture taking? If the Canon G12 were $100 less, I think that I would not be wavering on my choice of camera. And, the G2 is a bit over my budget, but I could consider waiting until I have a bit more cash.

Thx,

Stan
gostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:44 AM   #2

G12 is good, but a SLR would always b a better choice as far as picture quality is concerned.G2 is a fine camera but U can also look at SONYalpha290 dslr or the Pentax K-X around the $500-$550 mark.Pentax k-x being an xcellent entry level dslr.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
G12 is good, but a SLR would always b a better choice as far as picture quality is concerned.G2 is a fine camera but U can also look at SONYalpha290 dslr or the Pentax K-X around the $500-$550 mark.Pentax k-x being an xcellent entry level dslr.
Fayyaz, I am looking for the perfect balance between PQ and the ability to easily carry the camera in my backpack for quick use while skiing and mountain biking (I will definitely be at a stand still in both activiites before use of camera ). So, a dslr would really be too heavy/bulky.

Stan
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:21 PM   #4

gostan-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

It appears that you have really answered your own question.
Your lifestyle and activities demand that your camera be as small and compact as possible. Therefore the G-12 might be a viable choice. If you wanted to reduce your camera cost look for a G-11, whose price has begun to fall with the introduction of the G-12.

A DSLR or the Panasonic G-2, due to their size, do not seem to be viable choices.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:22 PM   #5

Have you consider the smaller m4/3 like the panasonic gf1 and olympus epl-1? The epl-1 is about 520 new at adorama.com it gives you all the features of the g2, in a package a tad larger then the g12, except for a evf. That is extra, but you get good low light performance.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:36 AM   #6

Fayyaz, Sarah & Shoturtle

Thx for your thoughts and responses. glad I found this forum.

I will be going to BB this morning to play with the G11 (no G12 in stock yet) and the ELP-1.

Interestingly enough, the discounts to date on the G11, imo, do not yet make it a better economical choice than the Newer G12. The EPL-1 might be tough to pass up at just about the same price as the G12, especially if I can find where I misplaced my Canon SD800.

Stan

Last edited by gostan; Oct 6, 2010 at 9:34 AM. Reason: correction
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:36 AM   #7

stan-

You will not see the G-11 prices fall very much until, the G-12 actually arrives on dealer's shelves. By January it will have probably seen most of the price reduction that will occur.

I could deal with the ergonomics of the Panasonic G-2, but not the Olympus EPL1. I own an EPL1 complete with the accessory EVF viewfinder (VF-2, a $260 accessory) plus multiple lenses, and it just does not work (the camera is fine, the ergonomics are terrible) at least for me at all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:56 AM   #8

In the long run, the G2 is a better choice as it will offer you room to grow. The m4/3 is a fun system and it opens up the world of old glasses. This would also apply to the EPL1 but because the EPL1 has a small low-res LCD and no EVF, shooting with manual focus lenses become challenging. The addition of an EVF takes care of that but at a $250 price tag.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #9

The G2 is a bit heavier than I was thinking about, but it is only about $130 more than the Canon G12. But not really too much. And A lot more bang for the buck.

Stan
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:08 PM   #10

with the ergo, you really need to check it out for yourself. So do not have any issue with the layout of the camera. But if size is a concern the gf1 and epl-1 are not much larger then the g11 or g12. The optional evf on the epl-1 is allot better then the one for the gf1 or the g2.