Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Default camera NOOOOOB

Hi guys, first off let me say thanks for helping all the people you do with camera choices. I've read the threads on this page and see you guys are a pretty nice non flaming crowd.

My price range is 400 or less out the door...will go up to 600 if i can find like a 1200 dollar used camera for sale on craigslist etc, and anything special i need to look for in a used camera if i go used instead of new?

I like to take pictures of cars. Normally this means pictures of cars that are parked, but I would also like some cool rolling shots. I might be taking pictures of my dog in the house and outside, and possibly family indoors and outdoors at a pool at my moms house. Any other times i feel like snapping a picture I want to be able to. Sometimes i sell things and like to really give them a model photoshoot feel because it makes people want to buy whatever it is more. (talking about like setting up a car part on a white sheet and taking a super zoomed in professional looking picture even though the item itself is nothing special looking) I'd like to be able to take pretty good pictures of anything honestly if im shelling out 500 bucks...im not talking pro photographer quality but i mean someone still thinks damn that looks good.

also what kind of price range would i be looking at if i wanted to take a picture like this? im guessing over the 1500 dollar mark which is more than i want to spend but just wanted to check.

anyways sorry for the ramblings...thanks to any kind soul that is bored enough to help
phrenetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2

also i don't know if most cameras can shoot video or not but it would be nice to have a decent video record mode...not looking for super amazing video just something better than my motorola cliq lmao
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Perhaps a bridge camera like the Canon SX30; it's $429 at Amazon at the moment. Thsi isn't my gallery but there are some good samples in there from the SX30.

http://www.pbase.com/goddy/canon_sx30_is

There is obviously some CA (chromatic aberrations) and purple fringing (PF) but I think they look darn good for a cam with a 35x zoom.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4

ok im just gonna jump the gun and buy that camera...i just started looking at 1300 dollar setups and i know myself, if i keep looking i wont be happy with a 400 dollar camera so buying now! lol
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Well congratulations in advance-

For your upcoming SX-30 purchase. It looks to be a good camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:33 PM   #6

To take photos like the one you link was taken with a dslr, as the AF system is fast enough to keep up with the jets. The shot you posted was taken with a T1i with the ef 70-300mm. The lens is 500-550 new, and the camera is about 700 new.

But you can get similar results with a pentax k-x with the 2 lens kit, 18-55 and 55-300 for about 750 dollars. A megazoom like the sx30 will be able to reach out, but the AF system is not good enough to allow you to track the subjects.

Think this was where you got the photo. Steve's rather you link these photo of someone else instead of posting them or embedding them.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=894204
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:00 PM   #7

thats ok i never really plan to capture airplanes..i just meant its so far and so detailed still. and i got them from altspace the user to the link you posted but he posted those pictures on a car forum, rx8club.com
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:01 PM   #8

also ill have my camera tomorrow...love 3.99 overnighting from amazon ^^